After much thought I am glad you guys changed Ruin

I started playing this game around Summer 2018. Back when I first start and I was in green ranks for a while Ruin wasn't too common. You'd only see it here and there. Then of course you changed it so that tiers 1 and 2 of the perk weren't so useless, and then we got the bloodweb changes and to cut a long story short, I'm more surprised when the killer doesn't have Ruin now. In fact I'm surprised your stats were so low, I figured it would be more like 90%+ from the games I play.

Anyway as killer I'm not too bothered. I liked it because it cut out that initial 20-30 second headstart the survivors would get on you, I didn't care about slowing gens down beyond that first chase. As it stands at the moment corrupt intervention does the same thing. It stops them immediately jumping on a gen while I have to cross the map and I was using corrupt over ruin in half my games anyway so to me it will be a smooth transition.

As survivor though I've noticed recently that a lot of players use the time granted by Ruin to hard tunnel one player out of the game as fast as possible. So that by the time Ruin is gone its basically a 3 vs 1. People say they will play dirtier and sweat harder after Ruin is gone but it makes no difference as everyone plays like that anyway.

I've had killers refuse to leave hooks, killers commit to 5 gen chases. Killers that just try to tunnel one survivor all game. In these cases Ruin buys them time to do that. it shouldn't be that way. If the killer wants to chase one survivor all game then they should be punished by the gens being done, if the killer wants to stand around a hook all game then they should be punished by the gens being done. This DOES happen IF the killer doesn't have Ruin. Ruin is the difference between 3 or 5 gens being done in that time. With Ruin changed people who play in this way will no longer receive a free pass. They'll either have to learn to apply pressure to the whole team, or stay in ranks more suited to them.

Also as someone who could be a potato 20 ruin skillchecks in a row in one game, and then be an unstoppable force hitting every Ruin skillcheck the game throws at me in another game I have to say it was a bit of a dumb idea for a perk. Expecting players to hit a tiny little bar on a spinning dial or suffer with 4 second regression and a 3 second pause wasn't very fun game design. I feel there are better ways to slow the game down without relying on rng and expecting everyone to have catlike reflexes throughout every game. Perks like corrupt intervention and discordance are a good start towards helping killers avoid early game genrush without feeling as dull or as silly as Ruin did.

I will say this though I do feel a number of the maps could do with shrinking. The red forest maps and Azarov's especially.

Comments

  • I like a lot of the points you made. I play mostly killer and I agree. I actually think changing Ruin will help the game stay afloat the more I think about it.

    Ruin has been like a toxic relationship to the community. It wasn't healthy for the game or the players, but it was around so long that it became familiar and comfortable to everyone. That makes it even harder to let go because no one wants to change something they feel is necessary for them even if it's not good for them either. This will be difficult for a lot of people to accept for a while, but I think it will make the game better in the long run and people eventually won't even miss it anymore.

    Now, a lot of players are more upset simply because nothing was done about gen speed in return and I agree, it seems like changes are being made in a weird order. However, I've seen the devs say that no more old Ruin means they will have a better baseline for data to balance the game. I hope we will see those results within the next few patches.

  • @JacksonWise Tbh, people don't want to let go of old ruin because a) the gens speeds are super fast and b) old ruin was the best perk from stopping that.... unless it got destroyed in 10 seconds (which they didnt fix btw)