Looking for perspective...

Survivor main here, mid rank 9-12. Console.

My typical game is played with my one good DBD friend, who is rank 4. Because of the recent changes, I usually face a rank 2-8 killer. I'm aware that it's my choice to play with a higher ranked friend, but that part doesn't bother me too much as it forces me to play at a higher level and 'git gud' so to speak if I want to have any chance to escape.

I'm trying wrap my brain around these recent changes, the uproar, the devs comments, the community's comments and understand what the problem really is here in a constructive manner.

The following issues are hanging present in my mind as potential issues and I would be interested in some other perspective, especially from 'the other side.'

  1. The point of changing Ruin is to give survivors an easier time on gens. But I can't help but think of:
    1. How many games are 'ruined' by 2 randoms urban evading around the map while looking for the hex totem? Meanwhile, my buddy and I are forced to take up the killers time so while one of us on on a gen, the other is running the killer- when we get downed we cannot count on the randoms to go for the unhook because clearly the hex totem is the ONLY priority. SO- that means that all 4 survivors are NOT working towards the objective for X amount of time until the totem is found OR someone gets a gen done. By the time the totem is destroyed, we've already been hooked 2x each and there might be only 2/1 gens left but the likelihood of escape for either of us is very low. Meanwhile, the other 2 players have had very little interaction with the killer so they have a better chance. Without thinking about changing how the perk works- how do we deal with the scenario? What's the course of action to take when you have no control over the other players in the game? As you can imagine, this is a fairly frequent occurrence and while occasionally we'll get another duo that plays on our similar level it's incredibly frustrating to face game after game after game.
    2. Ruin Skill checks are not always EZ. - Due to something with my internet or TV - there's horrible lag that occurs for all skill checks. I have to basically guess where the needle is going to end up. I have no way of being able to hit the intended target 90% of the time. I say this because I used to play on a different TV in which i could hit hex skill checks, DS, and BNP and any other smallish skill check with little to no issue. I'm curious what people think about this and if there's a way I can do better? Or maybe just understanding that not everyone has the same equipment to play on and therefore has a different experience than most.
  2. Removing the player ranks on the end screen.
    1. I sincerely hope this is not a thing. That's all I have to say about that.

While in its very basic form this game is 'us vs. them' - is it not possible to discuss these issues together and maybe shed some light on some things without completely picking a side? We're all here to play and have fun so i'd hope that would be the priority.

TL;DR: Noob cruising around the map looking for ruin is more dangerous than the perk itself, not everyone has a good connection to the game and therefore sometimes skill checks are hard for no reason.

Comments

  • Ruin skill checks are no more difficult than regular skill checks. Your problem is with the system, not the perk.

    Here's the thing, no one needs to, or should, spend a great deal of time looking for the totem. That is just bad play on the survivors part. You can just power through the ruin. I couldn't hit a great skill check to save my life, but I can still get through ruin without a toolbox. With a toolbox it is even faster...and at higher levels almost everyone has a toolbox.

    Without ruin, on bigger maps, survivors can complete a gen before the killer can even cross the map. It's ridiculous. Not to mention, quite often the ruin totem is out in the open, or worse, right next to a gen. It's not like they make any effort to make them difficult to find.

    The change, regarding skill checks, might be fine if ruin wasn't based on a totem that can be destroyed within 30 seconds of the start of the match.

  • Ruin skill checks are no more difficult than regular skill checks. Your problem is with the system, not the perk.

    • That is exactly what I described. However, if I cannot 'just hit the skill checks' then surely that is not the solution, right? I'm sure as hell not going to gen tap...

    Here's the thing, no one needs to, or should, spend a great deal of time looking for the totem. That is just bad play on the survivors part. You can just power through the ruin. I couldn't hit a great skill check to save my life, but I can still get through ruin without a toolbox. With a toolbox it is even faster...and at higher levels almost everyone has a toolbox.

    • Exactly my point also. The game is cooperative and it's bad enough that we are playing against a person trying to kill us- but it a lot of cases we are also playing against the other survivors since they have different priorities. These are red ranked survivors noob cruising around the map for 5 minutes while myself and a friend are being tunneled to oblivion.

    The change, regarding skill checks, might be fine if ruin wasn't based on a totem that can be destroyed within 30 seconds of the start of the match.

    • I also don't understand this ideology. Are they hoping that people are going to ignore totems now that we are not going to see ruin on every match? But then again, they've done several patches recently to indicate that they WANT survivors to have a reason to go after totems. So how is it going to be a late game weapon? With 2 gens left, the killer is going to guard them along with his totems that are still active- is that too much for the killer to monitor? Seems like it's a little silly to imagine...