DEVS - FIX YOUR UNBALANCED MAPS!!!!
There are 100% maps that heavily favor one role. But, is seems that everybody that makes a complaint about this either trivializes the action of 'balancing maps', or just severely underestimates how complex and difficult it is to actually do. It's also just extremely subjective.
A lot of people agree that a specific map should be rebalanced, but I bet everybody has a different idea of what that would entail. Like, what do you do to balance Haddonfield? Remove a pallet or 2? Get rid of one of the houses? Less gens on 2nd floors of houses? Remove some fences? Add more fences? Add some logic to prevent 2 specific tiles from ever spawning next to eachother? And there's no way to know if changing that would actually do anything. Is a slight change to a map structure going to inadvertently a make a certain perk or killer OP on that map?
I feel like the only reasonable things that devs can change on a map are number & location of pallets, number of total open windows, and having tile spawning logic restrictions changed. And in the end, how do you determine if the map is 'balanced' or not? If it averages 2 kills for killers across all ranks? If the 'safe' tile to map size ratio is at a certain point?
I just wanted to point out how subjective the entire thing is, and how little certainty you would actually have on how impactful the changes made would actually be. I find it odd that so many people have the mentality of "Just make the maps better 4head". But, that doesn't mean you're wrong.
If you think maps should be rebalanced, I want you to comment a few very specific changes you would like to be made to any one unbalanced map in the game (either killer or survivor favored). Then, come up with a plan/strategy/something that you think BHVR could do to confirm that the newly updated map is without a doubt more balanced than it was originally, before pushing it to the live servers. What do you think they could do to ensure that the majority of the community feedback on the map changes is positive?
Comments
2 Kills 2 Escapes is the ideal balance in a perfect world. However, the ranking system does not reflect this, until it does, I will not accept that model.
Haddonfield needs the Badham treatment. Full redesign and rebalance of the map.
Mount Ormond, Rotten Fields, Mother's Dwelling, Thompson's House, Blood Lodge, and the Iron Works of Misery are some of the most terribly designed maps I've ever seen in a video game. We'll just have to wait for bhvr to get around to it. They're too busy working on Chapter 15 :)
2 Kills 2 Escapes is the ideal balance in a perfect world. However, the ranking system does not reflect this, until it does, I will not accept that model.
I think ranking is irrelevant in this game. I think it would be best if you had an invisible rank attached to your profile that not even you could see. All it would be used for is matchmaking. If you mean that killers should pip on 2 kills and 2 escapes, then the killer would just facecamp 2 people down. I don't think the game needs a win / loss to be defined in any way. Just play how you wanna
Haddonfield needs the Badham treatment. Full redesign and rebalance of the map.
I think you just ignored the entire point I was trying to make in this post lol
Pick one of those maps and list 5 things that you think should be changed on it, and what you think it should be changed to
One of the main issues with the maps are too much clutter. Like a few loops on ironwork of misery has so much clutter around them that I've seen even experience survivors get caught on it while looping. The maps just honestly need a trim.
Ironworks of misery: Remove the god loop. Easy fix: Put a doorway instead of that window and a safe pallet outside.
Well, my least favorite of those maps is Rotten Fields. It is built entirely around corn, which completely cripples Michael Myers funnily enough. He cannot stalk through the corn and can be denied of his power for a LONG time. There can be a number of jungle gyms, the shack, gerneral hyper safe pallets, and the dreaded cow loop, all of which can be looped for an incredibly long time with perks like dead hard.
My solution would be to overhaul the map, and build it around a central tile, called the Maze of Dread or something along those lines. It could have a number of safe pallets on the inside of the Maze, and can be balanced by having two entrances/exits and several static dead ends (meaning you can't be screwed by rng and get cornered every time), and reducing the safety of other pallet spawns around the rest of the map. The maze could have a generator in the middle and maybe even a basement spawn.
The size of the Maze could be debatable. Making it too big or too small would make it the best looping area in the game or potentially the worst. And the map overall would promote stealth plays. Honestly anything would be better than Rotten Fields in its current form. I always have the urge to DC when I get that map as killer but I have yet to do so.
Takes too much effort. Same for adding 1 trap for trapper when he starts.
About the rank, having stats would help. My ratio KD, what kind of player am I, best killer, worst nemesis , dead by who...