Why decisive strike is bad with data and how we can make it better

By a console player rank 20 killer main.


Decisive strike is bad. mmkay? but, what makes it bad? I'm here to explain the


ill

the blame

the cure

and the cost and benefits of


why decisive strike is bad and what we can do to fix it.


Decisive strike is bad because:

it's not thematic,

it has no real counterplay

it requires stable internet to use.

it can't be used by a single survivor during endgame

it encourages toxic behavior and gameplay


the reason for these issues is due to the limited gameplay elements when laurie strode was added as dlc and behavior trying to confine everything to the 4 main goals that a survivor has during a match and forgetting about the other side objectives that could happen. (run on sentence. so sue me grammar nazis) The game has changed a lot and with end game collapse a thing perhaps decisive strike could use an update to put it in line with other end game collapse reworks.


The way we're to fix this is that I propose we make decisive strike a perk that counters moris. Why moris? Well. currently there is exactly zero perks for countering moris. And I don't think that it should be activated by a skill check. instead I believe that decisive strike should activate the moment a killer attempts a mori. The survivor should then be granted 3 things:

dying state recovery

haste

exhausted


What would this cost?


The object of obsession tag should be removed. I don't think laurie needs 3 perks that make her object of obsession. this is my personal opinion, but factually speaking most players do not take more than 1 object of obsession perk. and in fact many take only decisive strike or mettle of man.


This would also limit the gameplay effectiveness of moris as well as add-ons such as thombstone and perks like devour hope, rancor, etc.. However, currently tombstone and hex totems along with other perks already have gameplay balanced features to keep them somewhat reasonable. So that would need to be retuned


how would this benefit gameplay?


There are many perks and add ons in the game that execute survivors. Specifically moris, but the aforementioned ones as well. It can be frustrating as a survivor when your teammate farm unhooks you just to watch you get executed and your teammate ghost away with their troll grin beaming. This change would allow you as a survivor to have a fighting chance against multiple auto loss mechanics and encourage killers to go for the 9 hooks without slugging by removing a potentially abusive perk from the scene. There are already several perks that are geared towards running away or breaking free. These perks are:


sprint burst

adrenaline

self care

lithe

borrowed time

unbreakable

balanced landing

quick and quiet

dead hard

vigil

pharmacy

tenacity

lucky break

any means necessary

breakout - this being a major contender to decisive strike

camaraderie

second wind

fixated

inner strength

mettle of man

flip-flop

buckle up

solidarity

poised

head on

breakdown

distortion

deliverance

dance with me

windows of opportunity

boil over

slippery meat

hope

lightweight

premonition

small game

sabotage

and spine chill


So as you can see a HUMONGOUS number of the survivor perks are simply about unhooking, preventing hooks, or just running away. And that makes sense because the only way to lose typically is to be sacrificed. However, there isn't a single perk to prevent moris.


Currently right now the survivor perk decisive strike combines about 5 perks into 1 and arguably does its job better than the opposition. this is why decisive strike beats out many other perks.


with the potential gap that is moris and executions including the thematics of meyers instant death tombstone add on and the over abundance of obsession and "get away from hooks and downs" perks Laurie should have a solid and be given this get out of jail free once per game perk.


Thank you for reading and please comment your thoughts below.

Comments

  • I think I had a stroke while reading this. Must consort with doctor.

  • I tried following along but I got confused half way through

  • @CashelP14 said:

    I tried following along but I got confused half way through

    in what way were you confused? this is a typical policy argument format. though I didn't use standard essay formatting.

    if there's any way I can make it clearer to you please elaborate.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/902141#Comment_902141

    I absolutely despise Decisive Strike and even I got confused a third of the way through.

    i can try simplifying it, but really without the bulk of information provided there will be people who say i'm wrong because I didn't provide a clear enough argument or enough facts to back my proposal.

    i'll do my best to simplify it by leading you through my thought process.


    Decisive strike is a perk.

    there are many perks like it.

    there are zero perks that provide protection against moris.

    We should change decisive strike to provide protections against moris.

    This would make it a niche, but purposeful perk.

    by changing the perk from current to the proposed it would allow more perks to be utilized. see the list of perks provided.

    decisive strike would also work against other execution items and perks and not just moris.

    currently decisive strike will not save you from a mori or an execution.

    currently decisive strike is used with many exhaustion perks to get away. if we just put haste and exhaustion on it then I think it will be a better perk.

    Connection currently is too involved with whether or not youre able to land the skill check. I propose we make this automatic.