Devotion's True Potential

   It is a commonly understood idea that the more often you do something, the better you'll be at it. This being said I have a proposal to for the developers that I feel will improve the game's quality of life. 
 
   Instead of using rank for matchmaking, the matchmaking system should use a player's devotion level. My reasoning for this is as follows. 

  The current matchmaking unit, ranks, can be manipulated through disconnections and rank resets. This allows for very advanced players to be placed in lobbies with low rank players. This can result in a number of unfair exchanges that will certainly negatively affect new players. If Dead by Daylight is going to properly grow then we'll want to make the game enjoyable for both sides which will in turn encourage players to: 
- Keep playing Dead by Daylight
- Support the game by purchasing Chapters, Auric Cell packs, and maybe even official merchandise.
- Tell friends about Dead by Daylight, bringing in more players.

   So in order to reap the benefits of a mutually enjoyable experience we need to matchmake around Devotion. Matchmaking around Devotion will reduce the number of "Toxic Players" bullying new players. It will also improve the experience for veterans as they will not be matched with noobs that could cost them the trial. This would make veteran games more interesting while giving new players a chance to experiment and learn the ropes of both sides before the real challenge hits.

Comments

  • Interesting idea, but what about the killer main who decides to play survivor for the first time, or vice versa? Or someone who comes back to the game after a six month hiatus?

    Perhaps a combination of Devotion and Rank would be better. I know quite a few people who are great at one side but completely suck at the other side.
  •    You make a good case, though I hope that the random rituals encourage players to try both sides enough to be comfortable. All the same the haitus is a real concern if Devotion were to be used, as you've stated. I don't know a proper solution to smurfing in Dead by Daylight, but by thunder I will keep looking for it.
  • You can't use playtime/devotion.

    I learned a long time ago while putting 15k games into World of Tanks that most people will fail their way through many hours and battles. While play time may be a good indicator of general game knowledge, it's not a good indicator of skill. Ranking system, for all it's flaws, is still the superior system we have.

  • You face the problem with people having a higher aptitude for certain games. Take MMOs for example. You can take your experience to another game and ease in faster, but some people are straight-up doomed to be low/mid-tier players no matter how much they try/practice. I call this "Casualitis".

  • This would barely change anything. Player level is almost purely based on time spent playing the game and that doesn't equate to higher player skill. With how easy the current Ranking system is, it's basically time based too.

  • @FrenziedRoach said:
    You can't use playtime/devotion.

    I learned a long time ago while putting 15k games into World of Tanks that most people will fail their way through many hours and battles.

    My video editor and I are good examples of this. :p