Totem Based secondary objective

Basically do the following:

  • Generators now take 100 seconds to do at the start of the game
  • Every time a DULL totem is cleansed all Survivor have their action speeds increased by 5%. This includes chest opening, repairing, healing, exit gate opening and sabotaging. Vaulting, Cleansing and Killer specific actions are unaffected.
  • Whenever all dull totems are cleansed this action speed increase is set to 33.333....%. Note that Hex totems do not count for this and thus this bonus can be gained with less than 5 totems being cleansed depending on the Killers build. If Haunted grounds is cleansed this can cause the bonus to be temporarily lost until the new Dull totem is cleansed and NOED can cause the bonus to be suddenly granted.
  • All Survivors are given a counter of how many dull totems have been cleansed. This counter starts at 0 and counts up.
  • When all Dull totems are cleansed all players are notified including the Killer.
Anticipated Questions
  • Why 33.33333....% and not 25%? First of all I want the objective to be worthwhile. Second of all the idea is that cleansing all totems will make actions take 25% less time to complete, and a 25% speed increase doesn't actually accomplish this. Plug in 100/1.25 vs 100/1.3333333...... and you will see what I mean.
  • But 100 seconds of completing each Generator sounds terrible!? Once all dull totems are cleansed a gen will take 75 seconds which is actually LESS time than right now. The total time is still increased but the time specifically spent on gens is reduced by 25ish seconds.
  • Why does this use Dull totems and not a new mechanic? Since Dull totems already exist this is much easier to implement and has an existing perk base to interact with.
  • Why is this secondary objective idea optional? I think people are too focused on the idea of adding more to the primary objective, since they'd just rush that too and it doesn't really have much of an effect other than adding onto the timer bar. Something like this adds choice and thus variety into the game and is heavily influenced by the Killers build
  • Doesn't this nerf most Hex perks? Yes. Especially Ruin.
  • Why wouldn't I just rush gens anyways? If everyone cleanses totems and THEN works on gens then you will escape faster than if you go straight for the gens. However both methods are slower than rushing gens are right now.
  • Why does this effect actions besides repairs? It's an additional reason to want to do the other objective first for one, it encourages preforming the sped up actions such as searching chests ect as well since they will be faster, ect ect ect.
  • Why isn't it such that the totems are adding on a repair penalty? It's a psychological trick. Debuffs feel bad to have, so presenting it as a buff instead would make it feel better
Tagged: Trusted

Comments

  • So if I run, like, Haunted Grounds, Ruin, and Thrill of the Hunt, this means that as long as I can keep the lone dull Totem uncleansed, I am good to go?

  • @TAG said:

    So if I run, like, Haunted Grounds, Ruin, and Thrill of the Hunt, this means that as long as I can keep the lone dull Totem uncleansed, I am good to go?

    That's correct. But it also means that if they DO cleanse that lone dull Totem they instantly get the 33.3333...% buff at least until they cleanse Haunted Grounds. So it's a risk since if that happens too soon they can gen rush you even faster than right now (at least 2 dull totems is slower, but just 1 or 0 is faster)

  • The only problem I really have with this is the amount of perks currently in the game that encourage cleansing totems, and what a huge nerf this would be to perks that don't really need it. Inner Strength, for example, which is a reasonably good perk now, relies on totems not being rushed to be effective, and thus would become pretty terrible under this system. Perhaps perks like that could be adjusted or reworked in order to remain workable alongside a change like the one you're proposing.

  • @Fibijean said:

    The only problem I really have with this is the amount of perks currently in the game that encourage cleansing totems, and what a huge nerf this would be to perks that don't really need it. Inner Strength, for example, which is a reasonably good perk now, relies on totems not being rushed to be effective, and thus would become pretty terrible under this system. Perhaps perks like that could be adjusted or reworked in order to remain workable alongside a change like the one you're proposing.

    Most of them would still be fine.

    Detectives Hunch wouldn't be as buffed as you might think because you want to do the totems before gens.

    Small Game would absolutely be buffed but I'm ok with this as is.

    Inner Strength is side graded, since it means that while more totem are cleansed and thus you can't proc it as fast, it also means that since you want to cleanse totems anyways it's less out of the way and thus is less situational than now. If needed we could make it token based to work well with rushing multiple totems back to back.

    Thrill of the Hunt is buffed by this but it was a weak perk anyways.

    Noed is nerfed by this but I doubt anyone will mind that.

    Ruin is also nerfed but again I don't think anyone will particularly mind.

    3rd seal, Devour Hope and Lullaby would be nerfed and should probably be buffed to counterbalance.

    Haunted Grounds I'm not sure about, could go either way.

    Overall though the existence of these perks is something I consider a pro and not a con.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/872265#Comment_872265

    Most of them would still be fine.

    Detectives Hunch wouldn't be as buffed as you might think because you want to do the totems before gens.

    Small Game would absolutely be buffed but I'm ok with this as is.

    Inner Strength is side graded, since it means that while more totem are cleansed and thus you can't proc it as fast, it also means that since you want to cleanse totems anyways it's less out of the way and thus is less situational than now. If needed we could make it token based to work well with rushing multiple totems back to back.

    Thrill of the Hunt is buffed by this but it was a weak perk anyways.

    Noed is nerfed by this but I doubt anyone will mind that.

    Ruin is also nerfed but again I don't think anyone will particularly mind.

    3rd seal, Devour Hope and Lullaby would be nerfed and should probably be buffed to counterbalance.

    Haunted Grounds I'm not sure about, could go either way.

    Overall though the existence of these perks is something I consider a pro and not a con.

    Yes, I love having the perks in the game. I just think, and you seem to agree, that some of them would need to be adjusted in order to work well under the new system.

  • @Fibijean said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/872299#Comment_872299

    Yes, I love having the perks in the game. I just think, and you seem to agree, that some of them would need to be adjusted in order to work well under the new system.

    Luckily it's not so much of a problem where it'd be required to change immediately. They could implement this, look at how it effects those perks and THEN make the changes and everything would still be fine.

    Contrast some other idea's such as the recent Gen's giving skill check every second idea. That one would need an immediate rework for most Killer skill check perks as well as This Is Not Happening.

  • @NuclearBurrito said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/872316#Comment_872316

    Luckily it's not so much of a problem where it'd be required to change immediately. They could implement this, look at how it effects those perks and THEN make the changes and everything would still be fine.

    Contrast some other idea's such as the recent Gen's giving skill check every second idea. That one would need an immediate rework for most Killer skill check perks as well as This Is Not Happening.

    Absolutely, seems reasonable to me. I definitely think yours is one of the better proposals out there.