The problem with future killers

So, just to begin with I wanna say that I love this game and I'm not making this post to hate on it or the developers (who I think, even with all the bugs and glitches have actually done a pretty good job so far). No other game has kept me entertained and interested for as long as this one, so kudos to you.

Said that, I think with the Oni (and maybe even earlier with Ghostface and Demogorgon) it's getting evident the developers are running out of ideas for new powers. What I mean is we're just getting this recycled ideas and "mashup" killers. The Oni has mecanics that could be comparable to stalking a survivor (like Myers) to fill up a bar and then the killer becomes the Hillbilly. With Ghostface we had the stalking mechanics (myers) mixed with the remove terror radius (like pig). With Demogorgon we have another teleporting killer (like the hag or freddy) just changing some of the conditions.

Still, it worked. I had a lot of fun playing with all these killers but it gets me worried for the future. I don't think it's a matter of the developers not having enough creativity but more about the limited sandbox they have to play with. I mean, in the end the survivor only have one objective; fix the generators and escape, while the killer only has to stop them. This leave us with limited options/archetypes for killers.

My point with this post is to ask you guys what you think. What could be done to the game so we could have more variety? Maybe add a new killer who is actually a new game mode? Like a mastermind that puts obstacles for survivors (like the coming resident evil PvP spin off). Because right now for me, as much as Im still invested in the game, it's getting really underwhelming.


TL;DR: Too many recycled mechanics. what can be done?

Comments

  • @xCarrie said:

    While I see where you’re coming from and maybe soon enough the devs will eventually run out of ideas without making it a whole other game, for the time being you have to give them credit for somehow being able to keep making killers with new powers and perks without visually burning out. My biggest fear for this game is it “dying” by the devs making a final chapter and knowing we’ll never get new killers and survivors. To some the devs have already burned out and are just remaking killers, but to me and a lot others, it’s still fresh and nice to see new chapters even if it’s a similar power. Always think of it like this, a certain killer can do what this killer can’t. That’s what separates them.

    Legion can vault, other killers can’t

    Nurse can go through walls, other killers can’t

    Demigorgon can place portals and lunge really far, other killers can’t

    Freddy can teleport to gens and place fake pallets, other killers can’t.

    If you keep that mindset then really all killers are different :)

    That’s fair enough. We do have to give them credit for showing so much dedication to the game. I mean, my original point was exactly that I love the game but am afraid it will go stale. But as u said, not happened yet.

  • @FogNoob said:

    So, just to begin with I wanna say that I love this game and I'm not making this post to hate on it or the developers (who I think, even with all the bugs and glitches have actually done a pretty good job so far). No other game has kept me entertained and interested for as long as this one, so kudos to you.

    Said that, I think with the Oni (and maybe even earlier with Ghostface and Demogorgon) it's getting evident the developers are running out of ideas for new powers. What I mean is we're just getting this recycled ideas and "mashup" killers. The Oni has mecanics that could be comparable to stalking a survivor (like Myers) to fill up a bar and then the killer becomes the Hillbilly. With Ghostface we had the stalking mechanics (myers) mixed with the remove terror radius (like pig). With Demogorgon we have another teleporting killer (like the hag or freddy) just changing some of the conditions.

    Still, it worked. I had a lot of fun playing with all these killers but it gets me worried for the future. I don't think it's a matter of the developers not having enough creativity but more about the limited sandbox they have to play with. I mean, in the end the survivor only have one objective; fix the generators and escape, while the killer only has to stop them. This leave us with limited options/archetypes for killers.

    My point with this post is to ask you guys what you think. What could be done to the game so we could have more variety? Maybe add a new killer who is actually a new game mode? Like a mastermind that puts obstacles for survivors (like the coming resident evil PvP spin off). Because right now for me, as much as Im still invested in the game, it's getting really underwhelming.

    TL;DR: Too many recycled mechanics. what can be done?

    The forums are here for a reason, they should ask for ideas? The community has a lot of wicked ideas

  • I see what you're saying but....Oni is not myers lol. Also demo is not Freddy

    You're right about killers being mashups but you don't need to try too hard to connect them. "Teleporting" and "ranged" are pretty broad. I mean by that logic most overwatch characters are just clones of each other because a lot of them have guns

    But yeah, new gamemode please. Preferably one where there are two killers

  • If they're running out of ideas, IF, then maybe it's time for a fan-chapter. A lot of people in the community have come up with amazing and original ideas.

    A short version of mine is---you can create a duplicate of yourself with a simple AI routine that targets the nearest Survivor and follows them and goes away only when striking or gets stunned. Striking a Survivor does not injure them without an add-on but does make them scream, this is only half of my Killer's ability but basically this can be used at loops to confuse Survivors as to which is you and create artificial map pressure by making Survivors think you're chasing them. The other half of the ability involved dimensional travel, a version that Demo should have come with.

    This is just one example of n original idea that can be put into the game, if the Devs are actually running out of ideas maybe they should dig into that Fan Creation section they have.

  • @Thrax said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/852968#Comment_852968

    I think Jason could move faster when not being looked at as he never seems to run. I don't think it would be awful to implement as we already have mechanics for being seen.

    There is precedent in the films for him being able to break through walls to grab or likely here hit someone close on the other side. This might prove the hardest as sso much of so many maps would need to be made somewhat destructible. I think it would be an interesting mechanic in a chase. The killer thinks you are doubling back and stops to punch through the wall. If he misses he could be mad and hit a different part of the wall in anger kind of like missing with the chainsaw.

    He has used many weapons in his films so maybe he could use different weapons with a different cooldown and reach. fast ones that put a timer on becoming injured without a slow down so you can get a couple people panicked and have them scatter. Something slower that insta downs and a middle ground. Perhap he could throw his main weapon for an instadown and have to go get it or be limited to hands only.

    Maybe with his rage stunning him still works but gives him a small boost of a sort.

    This is all off the cuff and im no game designer.


    Let's break some of these down. Moving faster while not being seen is problematic for 2 reasons. It puts the power in the survivors hands to counter him. This is even more troubling for him than it is for Ghostface since it is only useful during a chase where the survivor already knows where you are. Second, it is extremely punishing for newer survivors that aren't experienced enough to run maps while looking backwards while not punishing at all for experienced survivors that do know how to run looking backwards.

    The power to break through walls or attack through walls has a number of issues. I'm not part of the design team, but I feel that I can confidently say that the maps aren't designed to work that way. So in order for him to be able to break the environment, every single map would need reworked. That seems like a massive amount of time and work for a relatively small pay off. The idea of being able to attack through objects has more merit, but has it's own issues. It would still be a very map reliant power. Maps that are largely determined by vegetation for instance don't offer many objects to attack through. Certain maps it would be like having no power at all.

    Having multiple weapons to switch between is probably the best idea you have. The new killer The Oni already does that though and a good argument could be made that the Huntress does as well so it isn't really original. There is enough design space there that it could be possible to work around though. Balancing would be tricky though. You can't just have a big weapon that can one shot survivors with no downside. Otherwise, why switch weapons to something weaker?

  • I personally don't think they are running out of ideas when it comes to this killer. Though if they need ideas there are loads in the fan creations, reddit and everywhere else.

  • @Kenshin said:

    its sad to see i agree. i dont understand how we still dont have a killer who uses a hook to grab and pull survivors to him (like roadhog.)

    Like...Pinhead?

  • I would like to see my nurse or spirit type killers or killers that make you have to play differently not run a loop but one that make u feel on edge and scared like one wrong step boom right now all killers become stale because its same crap only killer that make u change how u play are nurse and spirit well not nurse anymore.

  • @Gottlos said:

    I mostly agree with OP. It was immediately apparent that Oni was a blend of Billy and legion (ability power up over time)

    While it is underwhelming to not see any really new abilities come to the game the real issue to me are the perks. They could make new killer abilities, they aren't really, but each time they pump out 3-6 perks they are lucky to add one that has any real value. Getting buried in perk options is no fun either and it will only get worse.

    I agree with others that a new game mode or objective is becoming more and more necessary.

    That's actually true, but I think it's not necessarily bad. I think going forward perks are gonna be more and more situational just because it's harder to break the game with them. Whenever a "Mettle of man" comes out the forums become a battlefield and then the devs have to rework stuff, rebalance, etc..

    But once in a while you get a cool meta perk like inner strength, which is strong and balenced! so yeah..

  • @DevourOfSalt said:

    I would like to see my nurse or spirit type killers or killers that make you have to play differently not run a loop but one that make u feel on edge and scared like one wrong step boom right now all killers become stale because its same crap only killer that make u change how u play are nurse and spirit well not nurse anymore.

    Any killer that ignores the loop mechanic will be immediately called OP, survivors have spent years now getting used to and perfecting the art of looping they aren’t ready to adapt.

  • The devs have said (and proven) that they will make new mechanics and expand the base gameplay if needed.

    Also, story. With the collection of tapes in the Archive, Halloween events previously that have had story revelations... They can expand on more lore and stories outside of the trials. Imagine having to unlock tapes/chapters of a story that was genuinely a really good story like a short novel in its own right. They can and have done these kinds of story things. Actually, my girlfriend and I are incredibly invested in in Claudette's tapes (they're so sweet and she's such a cinnamon bun) since I resumed playing a little late after the archives were released.

    Game has plenty of room to grow. Both with original content and content drawn from a variety of sources (such as movies, books, Tv shows). The game now is the least stale it has been and I've been playing on and off for about two years (I think?).

  • @Dreamnomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/853237#Comment_853237

    Let's break some of these down. Moving faster while not being seen is problematic for 2 reasons. It puts the power in the survivors hands to counter him. This is even more troubling for him than it is for Ghostface since it is only useful during a chase where the survivor already knows where you are. Second, it is extremely punishing for newer survivors that aren't experienced enough to run maps while looking backwards while not punishing at all for experienced survivors that do know how to run looking backwards.

    The power to break through walls or attack through walls has a number of issues. I'm not part of the design team, but I feel that I can confidently say that the maps aren't designed to work that way. So in order for him to be able to break the environment, every single map would need reworked. That seems like a massive amount of time and work for a relatively small pay off. The idea of being able to attack through objects has more merit, but has it's own issues. It would still be a very map reliant power. Maps that are largely determined by vegetation for instance don't offer many objects to attack through. Certain maps it would be like having no power at all.

    Having multiple weapons to switch between is probably the best idea you have. The new killer The Oni already does that though and a good argument could be made that the Huntress does as well so it isn't really original. There is enough design space there that it could be possible to work around though. Balancing would be tricky though. You can't just have a big weapon that can one shot survivors with no downside. Otherwise, why switch weapons to something weaker?

    Like i said i'm no game designer and this was just off the cuff. I already stated it would be a ton of work to make that many changes to all the maps for wall breaks. I was really thinking it should be limited to thinner walls. That was just to show that if you wanted to you could come up with things that he could do that would be different and have a precedent in the films. I haven't seen the Friday the 13th movies in a long time and I had no trouble coming up with a few things.


    Ghostface can have his power stopped by survivors so there is in game precedent for that as well.

  • " it's getting evident the developers are running out of ideas for new powers."

    I think you're misunderstanding what is going on with the killer powers. The devs aren't using the same abilities multiple times because they're running out of ideas, they are are re-using them because it's cheaper and faster. It's the same reason we have multiple variations of map types...because it's faster and cheaper than to make an entire brand new map with brand new assets from scratch every new chapter.

  • @FogNoob said:

    So, just to begin with I wanna say that I love this game and I'm not making this post to hate on it or the developers (who I think, even with all the bugs and glitches have actually done a pretty good job so far). No other game has kept me entertained and interested for as long as this one, so kudos to you.

    Said that, I think with the Oni (and maybe even earlier with Ghostface and Demogorgon) it's getting evident the developers are running out of ideas for new powers. What I mean is we're just getting this recycled ideas and "mashup" killers. The Oni has mecanics that could be comparable to stalking a survivor (like Myers) to fill up a bar and then the killer becomes the Hillbilly. With Ghostface we had the stalking mechanics (myers) mixed with the remove terror radius (like pig). With Demogorgon we have another teleporting killer (like the hag or freddy) just changing some of the conditions.

    Still, it worked. I had a lot of fun playing with all these killers but it gets me worried for the future. I don't think it's a matter of the developers not having enough creativity but more about the limited sandbox they have to play with. I mean, in the end the survivor only have one objective; fix the generators and escape, while the killer only has to stop them. This leave us with limited options/archetypes for killers.

    My point with this post is to ask you guys what you think. What could be done to the game so we could have more variety? Maybe add a new killer who is actually a new game mode? Like a mastermind that puts obstacles for survivors (like the coming resident evil PvP spin off). Because right now for me, as much as Im still invested in the game, it's getting really underwhelming.

    TL;DR: Too many recycled mechanics. what can be done?

    Simple solution:

    Instead of having a killer every 3 months, why not extend the period. This will probably assure a great quality killer. Additionally, it may remove the possible need for reworking other killers and since reworking is already an ongoing prosess, like with doctor, wraith and freddy, we can scratch the idea of upcoming killers beeing spent more time on then our current ones due to the process in reworking most of our killers already. I'm not saying rework all killers, just the ones that need it most.


    Like leatherface, trapper maybe, definietly legion, maybe buff myers tier 3 like giving him a weaker brutal strenght, enduring built into his tier 3, clown. Most of our killers are ######### because they have only 3 months creation time.

1 2 ›