A question about missing event cosmetics.
Now that people are talking about the exclusive becoming free, I wanted to ask the devs something that's been on my mind a few times before; why we're people losing previous event cosmetics in the first place?
Why is it (supposedly) still happening and what has changed in how you handle in game cosmetics with the store so it doesn't happen anymore to newer cosmetics?
Tagged:
Trusted
Comments
It had something to do with where they were stored in the files, at least that's what I read from one of Peanits comments on the post itself. It would cause these cosmetics to be lost at random during new patches.
It can be quite a hassle to return all these cosmetics that're lost.
Here's a quote from Peanits 1st common on that post.
"Unfortunately the way these event cosmetics were stored made it possible for certain players to lose them at random. They would need to be returned manually, but doing so ran the risk of causing further loss of progress."
If only you knew the history of this game. 😥
Back before saves were stored on bhvr's servers they were stored locally on you HDD. Steam would back up this file but in the end didn't help any. At times your save would randomly corrupt and if you hadn't been backing up the save yourself you were screwed. The best the Devs could do was refund you BP. If you did backup your saves you could restore it yourself.
To solve this issue BHVR created a backend server that stopped saving data to the local file and started saving data to cloud servers. This was to do two things. One stop players from porting saves to other accounts (bannable offence) and two keep player data safe.
The problem after this change was player data continued to be corrupted. Turned out BHVR either wasn't backing up our data or unwilling to restore player data. The solution was to still provide BP.
Once the online store update came they had the opportunity to convert cosmetic items over to the store inventory which is seperate and better controlled due to actual money transactions. This wasn't done and cosmetic items stored in your save file can still be lost.
Many with Legacy are still waiting on the promised day where they can get back their lost Legacy items.
Yes I read that comment in the dev blog but is it no possible to somehow update those items so they couldn't be lost? (I am not tech savvy so I have no idea if this could even be possible)
It is a shame that people still won't get back their lost legacies though :(
I have no idea, I don't have access to the games files and I'm not a dev... nor am I a coder.
I couldn't tell you if it is easy or not, if I did it's easier said than done most likely. And the part about the legacy is a slippery slope, the issue with returning it is you need to prove without a shadow of a doubt that you owned the skins with enough proof... and sometimes that's not enough if they can't identify if you previously owned it or not.
The whole Legacy refund thing is a tricky situation.