New Nurse Problem


Today I would like to discuss the new Nurse with you all as well as hopefully the devs. This is not a post to hate on anyone. It’s to address the issues I find with these changes. I have played roughly 200 hours worth of the new nurse. In this discussion I will touch on the topics as follows:


  1. The problem with old nurse
  2. New nurses power
  3. New Addons
  4. Her current counters 


The Problem with Old Nurse:

The old nurse was obviously known as the strongest killer in game. She was the only killer in S tier (for some that was debatable), but she had counters. She had many counters from breaking line of sight, double backing, mind-gaming corners, etc. Even Nurse mains (myself included) could agree she needed changes, but that was mostly due to over powered addons and not her base kit. The devs said she would be getting minor changes. That was not the case. 


New Nurse Power:

The New Nurse suffers from a variety of power issues. Of course, you couldn’t expect to read this without hearing a repeat of what you’ve heard before. Part of the problem with nurse is her 3 second cool down. The Nurse is stuck between to options with this cool down, be a 1 blink nurse for the majority of the game or be somewhat crippled. Consider the cool down as an extended fatigue, but you are given your movement speed and vision back. What’s crippling about it is that a survivor will be able to get roughly the same distance from you as they would from getting hit. On top of that, they will get that same distance again as they would by getting hit, because the nurse is moving slower than survivors and she is waiting several more seconds to use her power efficiently. If the nurse is continuing to wait on her double blink she is likely to keep being put out of “chase” as well in endless chase due to never being able to catch up to survivors. If she decides to blink continuously without getting both blinks back the nurse is being fatigued more often as well having to teleport a short distance and hope to hit the survivor. Granted for the survivor to get hit in that situation is not due to the nurse, but most often it is the survivors fault. 


New Add-Ons:

The add-on changes are great (kinda, not really). The bloodpoint add-ons are interesting, because it is good for getting points up which is no problem by me. However, the rest of the add-ons are poor. Other killer add-ons do not change their powers as drastically as the nurses does. The one exception I can make is the hags add-ons to body block. The hag ability to teleport is gone, she is able to block pallets, and she is given normal movement speed. It is not bad to have add-ons like this, however this is the majority of the Nurses current add-ons. They either completely change how her blinks work or what is needed to blink effectively. This causes several issues to arise. The first issue being that the devs wanted to make the nurse easier to play for non-nurse mains as well console players. Yet, it gave her higher skill cap, because these add-ons require you to learn a multitude of different styles of nurse. It also hurts the fun factor for nurse players as they with how her power works with the cool down makes some of the add-ons almost useless due to inability to reach requirements to hit someone. 


Nurses current counters:

The nurse remains with the same counters, but I can’t help but notice that more than half the time I see survivors (myself included) running in a straight line to gather distance from the nurse after she blinks. Due to her inability to catch back up without receiving the same percussions the survivors she is extremely weakened. I personally don’t find that running in a straight line should almost completely win the game for the survivors. 


NOTE: I am a Xbox one player. I began the game in beta back in the day on pc. I played pc up until console release. I’ve played DBD on all platforms (minus switch). I have roughly 5k hours between all platforms (PC,Xbox,PS4, Mobile). My current Xbox account (main dbd account) has stats that I put below if that helps those reading not throw out “git Gud” and start calling me a killer or survivor main as if that’s bad thing anyway. I play both equally. It also may keep some of you from saying I don’t know Sh*t about dbd either. Also please dismiss any typos or errors in text, thx.

15265217-74D7-42C5-88FF-4677824E981F.jpeg



Being civil, what are your thoughts?

Comments

  • I agree with the post. Regarding distance management, the most efficient way to close the distance against someone who is just running is to single blink until they turn. Without range extensions, this means 2 max range blinks minimum assuming chase started at max initial blink range. It may take 3 or 4 on an open map. It is what it is if the devs aren't going to acknowledge it. It is imperative that these are single blinks until the survivor turns. I'm of the opinion that range extension add ons are almost mandatory now as they save you an entire blink cycle during the gap closing phase. No other add ons in her kit will give you that efficiency return. Now, I should note that gap closing isn't an issue unique to the Nurse. Every 115% 32m terror radius killer can be run across the map before they can even loop. Nurse just got nerfed to the point that she has to deal with the ill-conceived maps as much as the other killers.

  • Her nerf wasn't too bad, it's just even more difficult and lessened her play rate on console imo, she already was bad enough to play on Ps4, lag, glitches, joystick, etc.