The Archives Bring Out The Worst in Some People... And The Best in Others

I have seen a lot of posts talking about how toxic everyone is being with the new Archives and event. I just wanted to share my two cents, not to invalidate other people's experiences but to demonstrate that it's not all just a sea of rudeness and toxicity going on out there at the moment.

For reference, I play killer at very low ranks (19-20) and survivor at purple ranks.

Almost every survivor I have played either against or with in the last two days has been absolutely lovely. I completed almost every killer challenge within one game each, got my event hooks, and made sure the survivors got their generators. There was nothing but "gg"s and "Happy Halloween"s all around in the post-game chat. It was heartwarming.

There were one or two games where I was forced to be a jerk in order to complete my challenges. For the "sacrifice 4 survivors in a single match" challenge, I brought NOED and a mori to make sure I got it. There was one particularly memorable Nancy player - I killed two of her teammates, downed a third (Jake) and then downed her. Then I slugged her for a couple of minutes while I located Jake, who had crawled away, and moried him. Then I found Nancy again and moried her. Nancy wasn't angry as I had expected, the first thing she said was "gg :)". I apologised for the brutality, explaining it was for a challenge, and she said, "No, don't be sorry, I totally get it. Good luck and Happy Halloween!"

As a survivor, most lobbies I have been in, everyone has shared the challenge they were currently working on and helped each other to achieve them. On one occasion, I mentioned I had to open 5 chests, and two other players volunteered to burn shiny coins to make sure I was able to complete the challenge in that one game. In other cases, people have left hook saves or totems for those who need them to complete challenges.

I'm sure it's true that the release of the Archives is bringing out the worst in some players. But it's bringing out the best in others, and it's awesome to see, and to be reminded that this community isn't all bad after all.

Happy (late) Halloween, everyone!

Comments

  • I'm better in events and worse in regular. I don't get it do I play smarter or something?

  • It's the solution to genrush. People do ither things than gens AND are friendly af. I love it.

  • I think it may be true that it also brings out the best in some players. but unfortunately I havent been blessed by these experiences like you.

    I play rank one on both sides and I feel more frustrated than ever. Literally every game as surv I face a killer with crazy addons, mori, who tunnels or camps and the only objective for him is to pop goes the event gens.

    If I play killer they saboing my event hooks and keep trolling me for playing fair. what a fun game.

    I honestly wish I were in rank 20

    Anyways, happy halloween

  • Archives made me play a game where a Legion slugged all game to get the EGC sacrifice but everyone got out.

  • @CrowFoxy said:

    Archives made me play a game where a Legion slugged all game to get the EGC sacrifice but everyone got out.

    It won't beat the Wraith I faced who spent all the match bing bonging around a rock to scare crows away.

  • I just depipped FIVE times in a row (was rank 3 now back to 4) cause in literally EVERY match the killer camped and tunneled.

    Why just WHY do red ranks throw themself at the killer when you can clearly see he is camping? In all of the matches I was the only one doing gens, ofc i died in the end after they all got killed while trying to rescue a single camped dude

  • As far as the event goes I have seen a complete 180 from the usual "toxic" behavior of prior years. As a survivor (event) I will do all my gens and open a gate but will go to an event hook the killer didn't get and let myself be hooked. To my surprise I have seen almost every survivor do this even though everyone could escape. I also get plenty of killers that let us do the event gens but in my experience killers usually seem to be the nice guys/gals. I have even had survivors do this while I was playing killer and this is the FIRST time in my 3 yrs of playing DBD I have even seen a survivor purposely go to an event hook at end game so I could get my points.

    As for the archive challenges, while I completely love having something new to do/focus on it has been rather stressful. I have had matches where I've watched people hunting chests when I (or a teammate) are sitting on a hook. I understand some of them are a pain in the butt, however this can get a little annoying at times. Once more people complete them I know the issue will be far less common, and right now it isn't enough of a problem to overly frustrate me.

    Overall I find the current "mood" of the game great. I enjoy the achieves and although i find the Halloween event lackluster compared to last years (all issues aside) its enjoyable thanks to the people I've played with/against.

  • As a killer I've had mostly decent games, there have been a few where survivors DC to deny me a hook, they have usually been part of an SWF though.

    Survivor I've run into way more issues. People literally not letting you heal them due to them trying to run to their SWF to give them the heal etc.

    One game I rescued a Tapp off of hook and wanted to heal him with my 100% increased healing and you started running away on purpose not letting me heal him, and what do you know, he ran right into the killer and went down again.

    SWF survivors have really turned the event on survivor side very frustrating.

  • This a refreshing post! I will add that an apology in end game chat for any "bad manners" plays can go a long way.

    I was playing a game as killer and I after I downed a Jake the last gen popped. I ran around trying to get another survivor but the rest escaped. I went back and hooked Jake.

    In the chat I said, "Sorry for the slug. Things spiraled out of control for me at the end." He was basically like, "Oh ok. It's all good." Got the impression he was about to go off but a little kindness diffused the situation.

  • @Lost_in_the_Fog said:

    This a refreshing post! I will add that an apology in end game chat for any "bad manners" plays can go a long way.

    I was playing a game as killer and I after I downed a Jake the last gen popped. I ran around trying to get another survivor but the rest escaped. I went back and hooked Jake.

    In the chat I said, "Sorry for the slug. Things spiraled out of control for me at the end." He was basically like, "Oh ok. It's all good." Got the impression he was about to go off but a little kindness diffused the situation.

    Yeah I find that as well. Kindness and humility go a long way in reducing toxicity generally, in my experience.

  • @MeatBycicle said:

    As a killer I've had mostly decent games, there have been a few where survivors DC to deny me a hook, they have usually been part of an SWF though.

    Survivor I've run into way more issues. People literally not letting you heal them due to them trying to run to their SWF to give them the heal etc.

    One game I rescued a Tapp off of hook and wanted to heal him with my 100% increased healing and you started running away on purpose not letting me heal him, and what do you know, he ran right into the killer and went down again.

    SWF survivors have really turned the event on survivor side very frustrating.

    That's understandable, but of course it's also fair enough that people want to help their friends achieve challenges. As someone who plays majority SWF, I would recommend finding a group to SWF with and complete challenges together (depending on your region/platform). If that's not a possibility, the other thing you can try is explain in the pregame chat which challenge you're attempting and ask for cooperation. As you can see from my post, that's what I've been doing and it's worked quite well for me.