Protection Hits could be improved.
Several times I've thrown myself in front of a Killer from behind a corner to get hit to buy an ally more time to escape.
Or I've ran behind an ally to cover their retreat and take any hits.
Or I've body-blocked narrow passages to prevent the Killer from moving through it.
All these things scream "Protection!" but none of them award Protection events. Apparently the only surefire way to get a protection hit is to purposefully take a hit while the Killer is carrying someone... which is pretty much useless, completely unintuitive and doesn't protect your ally at all. Protection Hits need to be improved, you can't have perks (WGLF, Mettle of Man) rely on Protection Hits when they're broken.
My suggestions:
*Any hits taken within a certain proximity of a Survivor currently in a chase counts as a Protection Hit.
*Any hits taken within a certain proximity of an injured survivor counts as a Protection Hit.
Comments
I think it's because if they're not being carried, it only counts as protection if the killer was in a chase with the other person, and the "in chase" mechanic is kind of finicky. To be fair though, WGLF doesn't really rely on protection hits. Safe unhooks are a far more reliable way of activating the perk. But I do agree that protection needs to be more predictable and reliable if we're going to have perks that need protection hits to activate.
Protection hits should definitely be looked at as a mechanic because they feel so inconsistent to earn, like jumping in front of teammate being chased or carried might not count towards WGLF but getting hit when across the map from another survivor somehow does? it just feels so random at times.