Increasing damaged Gen regression as an alternative to decreasing gen speed

I think there is a lot of discussion about how the gens go to quickly. As a red rank killer, I have felt that way too - even with ruin, sometimes 2 gens pop as the first chase is happening in red ranks. However, decreasing gen speed (i.e. making them take longer) would severely hurt survivors at lower ranks even if it may balance the upper ranks. I appreciate this problem and the challenge.

Therefore, I wondered about the following alternative. Currently, a damaged generator will regress at a rate of 0.25 percentage points a second. Thus, it takes a grand total of 320 second (5 minutes and 20 seconds) to fully regress a 100% gen. I wonder if perhaps this could be increased from 0.25 to 0.5. Thus taking 160 seconds, or 2 minutes and 40 seconds, to fully regress a gen. Or, a 25% done gen would take 50 seconds and a 50% gen would take a minute and 40 seconds.

What is interesting about this idea is that it makes kicking a gen more desirable (which takes time and lets survivors get away and has a price). It also rewards effective killers, you kick a gen, chase a survivor, and unless the survivor (or their teammate) comes right back, they lose quite a bit of progress (helping killer identify where to return to because returning is beneficial to survivors). On larger maps, it might balance killers kicking a far gen and leaving it along for longer because when survivors do get to it - it will have regressed more and allow for more time (i.e. increase map pressure just a tiny bit which could help game balance).

I think this should be considered as a fix to this problem. It rewards better tracking killers and kicking gens, but doesn't dramatically change the game. If 0.5 is too harsh, perhaps a simply increase from 0.25 to 0.33 might work. Survivors would be encouraged to tap gens to make sure they stay ok. At minimum, it could be very interesting to consider as a perk!

Comments