My Alternative To A Totem Counter

So instead of having an actual counter saying how many totems are left, which to me feels cheap and lazy, how about we have a Totem Symbol at the bottom or top right corner? This symbol basically says that there are still totems on the map, if all the totems are destroyed then the symbol SNAPS and turns into a Broken Totem Symbol that says all totems are indeed gone.

This idea lets everyone know that throughout the match there are still totems, we don't need to know how many are left if we know that there are left period, what good is the number? It doesn't have any more useful information that helps us in any way, all we need to know that NOED can still activate if that symbol doesn't change. So if all the Gens are done and that symbol is still the same then everyone knows there is a chance that NOED will activate because no one went out of their way to keep searching.

This keeps the feeling of mystery that NOED gives us right now, it allows us to stay tense not knowing how many are left but knowing that they're still there. This also means that there is no difference between Solo and SWF when it comes to totems, they all have the same vague information that states a simple but powerful fact of info.

Comments

  • But there would be a difference between solos and SWF. The SWF groups knows exactly how many totems have been cleansed.

  • @NoShinyPony But the actual number itself isn't important.

    Lets say that the symbol is up and the last Gen goes off, bam NOED. Someone finds the totem and breaks it and then then the symbol snaps saying all totems are destroyed. Having a the number 1 saying 1 totem left would not have helped that team in any way since they already knew that there were totems left. Sure there could be speculation from all Solo players but if they want those totems gone then they need to search for them and they KNOW they're still up.

    That's my reasoning why the SWF would have no real advantage over Solos with this idea since the number itself is not important. Whether it's 2 or all 5, everyone knows there is still at least 1 and 1 is all NOED needs.

  • And how would this UI handle other hexes? If for example all dull totems done and only one or two hexes are left. In that case the number of totems destroyed are important. I kinda like the idea, because it opens up the possibility to change the number of totems without survivors knowing it (Yes, I want a secret offering, which spawns one additional totem) and tries to get rid of irrelevant info.

  • @Freudentrauma I was gearing this more towards totems in general, there are 5 total and I think it would be misleading if the symbol changed to broken if 4 Dull totems were destroyed but number 5 wasn't because it was SURPRISE!!! Devour Hope.

    I love the idea of an offering to make more totems, it would have to be secret. In this case, I think if it was a thing the symbol would then break at 5 so Survivors think they got all 5 and this adds to the illusion that the Secret offering gives. ''Oh yay the symbol changed to broken so we got all the totems. Wait what? NOED?! But we got em all! Wait...he didn't Mori anyone...the Secret Offering was for a TOTEM!!!'' In this way it would bring back the old games where NOED was still a surprise and had an advantage over Survivors of being a secret which since it would be an offering would be fair.

  • @HatCreature I don't want to write a novel, but depending on the situation, knowing the exact number of remaining totems can be better than just knowing that there are still totems left.

  • @NoShinyPony I respect that, and will continue to believe my theory until it is disproven lol

    I see it more of as a preference than a die hard struggle for [insert number of totems] ''OMG, where are the last 3 TOTEMS!!??'' No one knows where they are but they exist.

    ''WE HAVE 1 TOTEM LEFT GUYS'' The number is insignificant since the existence of said totem is the cause of their problem.

    I'm not raggin, I'm just explaining why I can't see it. It wouldn't be a problem for me basically.