How do dedicated servers work?
I know they've been talked about, and supposedly coming, but I don't actually know how they work. The killers won't be the host anymore? I haven't thought about it much lately, since I normally play Killer, but as of today, I've been playing survivor to finish up some dailies, and it's one bad connection after another.
Comments
This is pretty much the difference, the killers wont be hosting the games. Instead, the games will be hosted on whichever server is closest to you. This comes with plenty of upsides, but also possible downsides. While you no longer have to worry about someone hosting your game who is using what feels like dial-up for internet or a microwave for a computer, the nearest server to you might be far away. During the initial testings of the dedicated servers, things got laggy for both killers AND survivors...but hopefully itll be well polished by the time the servers are officially online. The devs said that they expected the servers to have lag and such during those tests, and it was mostly to test if they worked on a basic lvl.
Basically this
I just want to emphasize that dedicated servers will NOT fix lag if your internet is garbage. Way too many people think that dedicated servers = no lag ever. A few of those people also claim that literally every killer is lagswitching because they lag in every game. If you are one of those people then YOUR internet is the problem and you will still lag horribly even with dedicated servers