Counterplay has become a buzzword when someone wants something nerfed.
Seriously, every time I see something being complained about everyone always talks about the counterplay. While I think it makes sense to talk about counterplay when it comes to add ons and killer powers that tremendously effect how the game goes, not every perk in the game needs to have counterplay.
Look at Spirit Fury+Enduring's "counterplay" is to drop pallets early which just results in you wasting every pallet on the map and being a boon to the killer. Sloppy Butcher's "counterplay" is to not heal, which is a boon to the killer.
One of the problem's I have with a lot of complaints about counterplay, is that when people complain about counterplay, they're asking the devs to change X thing into Y useless thing because any person with a brain can just ignore it's effect entirely.
Like those things are meant to have an effect on the game you know. Why do we have to move towards making all good perks less impactful and having all ######### perks. Rather than doing things like nerfing MOM and others why don't we make it to where there is actually other perks that are worth running instead of these and then start to balance the killer around that power level since there would be more variety. There is seriously so many bad perks in this game.
Comments
Yea the Enduring + SF is the funniest. I have one myself though. I just lunge to hit so I can get hit by the pallet regarless if close for a hit so I can use the SF. Works most of the time unless you are way too far from the pallet but then the survivor wouldn't drop it
Very true. I can't find it now, but I even remember a particular comment where someone defined the word "counter" with "completely negate", which is ridiculous. No survivor perk should fully negate any killer perk or power. With killer perks, it's a little different, since he has only four against sixteen, but still, completely shrugging off an effect of a perk is not very good design... here's why:
One of the most difficult challenges the devs face is the increasing stone-scissor-paper nature of the game. I'm thinking about stuff like Calm Spirit: using it you can put Doctor at a great disadvantage, but really not such a useful perk against any other killer. Sprint burst can be great against Legion, but helps very little against Nurse, and vice versa, while the case is the opposite with Dead Hard. Then there is Small Game when killer has no hex perks. The list could go on forever. In the end, it leads to a gamble where, if you're lucky enough, you may find yourself carrying the perfect perk set against a given killer, or, on the contrary, you may just end up with a bunch of useless perks.
No one can reasonably expect the devs to make this "roulette" feature of dbd go away. There are just too many perks, maps, killer powers already. But it doesn't mean they shouldn't try to make new perks (or revised perks) a little more versatile, useful in a number of situations, but in a way that prevents them from simply killing an entire perk or power of the opposing side.