I've come to a conclusion regarding the pipping system
It seems the devs want this to become a competitive horror asymmetrical game.
For Killers we have a set number of goals we need to reach in order to either black pip, pip once, or double pip.
Survivors have their set of goals as well.
Thinking from this perspective has helped me ease frustration when not ranking up, and instead I've had to change my playstyle to rank up.
All of this contributes to gaining rank, and that is fine. However, the only problem:
If it's going to be more difficult to rank up, and to reach these small "missions" to accomplish on each side, shouldn't we have an incentive to stay at rank 1? It would make it worthwhile.
Comments
Being a launch player and a stubborn jackass, Im still in the mindset that higher blood points should reflect doing well and thus be rewarded in rank.
Before the emblem system it felt horrible to earn over 20K BP as Killer and get a black pip. 20k was once 2 pip worthy and to only get a black pip felt like a gut shot. In the emblem system though, it just got so much worse. 25K BP games end in a black pip. Iv had up to 27K black pip games multiple times! That's a freaking kick in the nuts.
To work your ass off to earn BP by hunting people, landing hit after hit, downing/hooking them, making proper use of your power all throughout, and doing it ALL within only a few minutes before the game ends is a crap load of effort. Getting told "meh, you did average" with a black pip, or worse losing with even getting a depip at times, kills any motivations I had to play the game.
Today I had plenty of time to play DbD. Just ended up sitting here listening to Pandora instead before going to work.
competitive horror game i like it. ranks should have rewards each seasons like Iris/skins/BP and probably charms with the new feature coming in chapter 12.
I'm from launch as well. One thing that has helped me rank up consistently is looking at the requirements for each emblem. Gatekeeper involves guarding gens and regressing them for at least the first 9 mins of the match.
Malicious, requires hits, hooking, and preventing them from healing. If Survivors heal it is a small percentage penalty to your emblem.
I've learned all of this from reading the info after my matches. Although, I know for some killers it isn't fair because you could win and actually not "win".
I pretty much hate the ranking system in this game. I thought the victory cube system was perfect for killers. 2 kills or proportionate number of hooks equal to 2 kills was a black pip. Anything worse than that lost a pip. 2 kills plus 1 hook was a pip. 4 kills was 2 pips. Pipping was based off of what a killer should be doing. Killing.
The current system is just crazy. The number of times that I've got 3 kills (and hooked the 4th at least once) without pipping is mind blowing. I don't know what more the game wants from me honestly. Even 4 kills doesn't guarantee a pip. I have a completely dominate performance and don't pip... Seriously, just bring back the victory cube.
I understand where you're coming from, but we have to adapt now. It's no longer just about kills but now it's about your performance overall involving all factor of the match, i.e. Gens, hooks, heals, sacrifices, beginning and ending a chase.
I'm not saying that this system is superior to any other, but I'm saying we have to try to adapt to still rank up.
The current pip system for killers require you to play with survivors while keeping pressure (gatekeeper and chaser mostly) while not allowing survivors to heal.
I agree, I've noticed that as well
I hate ranking up, all you get is a lot of douchey behavior from both sides. lol.
Question is, have you noticed how many Killers are built to do that?
A few are good at all those but most aren't good at all in effecting more than a single person. Clown, Wraith, Pig, ect simply cant pressure more than 1 person at a time. Shape, Hag, Trapper, ect can somewhat pressure more than 1 person but takes time to setup. Billy and Nurse also can only just pressure multiple people thanks to their chainsaw and blink mobility as well as power.
The emblem system just doesn't support the majority of Killers in the game and it gets worse in higher ranks when the pip requirements go through the roof needing almost constant perfect games to just be sustainable.
I like that I don’t rank up quickly. They’ve definitely done something with the PIP system since I last played consistently.
I play this game very casually now after taking about 6 months off.
I have 11 hours in the past two weeks. Started Rank 18 Survivor, now Rank 10. It’s nice. I don’t want to play with high rank try hard gamers.
Currently, the emblem system is kinda screwy on whats worthy of a pip or not. If you get a game as killer for example where you get alot of gen grabs or 1 shots, and are able to get that 4k very quickly...black pip. If you're name is trapper and you spend your time setting traps and scooping survivors out of said traps until you 4k...black pip. You didnt hit or chase them.
To compare this to another game...
Thats like a Mortal Kombat player being stuck at lower ranks because they keep getting a double flawless victory instead of making it look close...