Second Chance Perks can be good IF they were actually designed to be anti tunnel and camp

But in the current state of the game that is not the case. Right now they are pretty much freebies and gimmes for survivors to taunt killers with, and killers are once again wrongfully punished for doing their job and lose out on precious time which is becoming an ever increasing rare commodity with gen rushing and competent survivors not really giving a damn about Ruin.

If these second chance perks were designed to stop nasty killers from employing nasty bp denying tactics, I would say YES GOOD GIVE THEM OUT LIKE CANDY. I actually even think current ds could be buffed (whaaat) so either the missed skill check doesn’t deactivate the perk or if they still get downed under a minute the skill check still triggers even after use.

But right now this is not what’s happening and it is hurting the killer experience (as well as killer morale.)

Comments

  • they're not necessarily designed around it, but they definitely help with getting camped, tunneled, or facing an extremely hard game to win such as an omegablink ruin nurse. not a great feeling when you're trying to play some wholesome wraith and you get with 4 mettle of man's, but it's also extremely satisfying having that perk setup when facing off against purple addons spirit. that is just 1 of the problems with the game, strong ######### vs weak #########.

  • @artist said:

    they're not necessarily designed around it, but they definitely help with getting camped, tunneled, or facing an extremely hard game to win such as an omegablink ruin nurse. not a great feeling when you're trying to play some wholesome wraith and you get with 4 mettle of man's, but it's also extremely satisfying having that perk setup when facing off against purple addons spirit. that is just 1 of the problems with the game, strong ######### vs weak #########.

    Well that’s the thing too. I don’t want to play Nurse (I’m also on console so rip) or Billy or Leatherface or Spirit. I don’t like how they feel and I greatly prefer Freddy, Doc, Michael, Hag, and Wraith (although only because I get his challenges a lot.)

    Killers of all types should also not need good add ons just to compete with the decked out survivors.

  • @pemberley said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/402354#Comment_402354

    Well that’s the thing too. I don’t want to play Nurse (I’m also on console so rip) or Billy or Leatherface or Spirit. I don’t like how they feel and I greatly prefer Freddy, Doc, Michael, Hag, and Wraith (although only because I get his challenges a lot.)

    Killers of all types should also not need good add ons just to compete with the decked out survivors.

    I feel your pain. I play pig, wraith, doc and hag. battle hag, stealth doc, or delete everything wraith is a lot of fun, but I can't always do that because of survivor builds. I also like to play survivor and try plunder, hide mid-chase, and heal builds just to get hit with a billy with his best addons. I shouldn't feel the need to deck out my build with 2nd chance after 2nd chance just in case I get players like those, but I do. what makes it worse is that those top tier killers that dont need those addons to compete still use them, making the game 10x harder (not to mention the already struggles of solo-play)

  • I'm of the opinion that the definition of tunneling has become too broad and instead of perks to discourage perceived tunneling, there needs to be a reason for killers to go after someone else without it being suboptimal in the broader context of 5 gens and an exit gate. Right now, killers can get punished for making optimal hits but also lose a ton of pressure through no fault of their own. That's not balance to me. The game should be fun for survivors, I get that, but bandaid perks that punish other players for playing optimally aren't the way to go, because that just makes the game less fun for someone else. It's just a neutral move in the fun department and breeds discontent.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I'm of the opinion that the definition of tunneling has become too broad and instead of perks to discourage perceived tunneling, there needs to be a reason for killers to go after someone else without it being suboptimal in the broader context of 5 gens and an exit gate. Right now, killers can get punished for making optimal hits but also lose a ton of pressure through no fault of their own. That's not balance to me. The game should be fun for survivors, I get that, but bandaid perks that punish other players for playing optimally aren't the way to go, because that just makes the game less fun for someone else. It's just a neutral move in the fun department and breeds discontent.

    The problem is that survivors want this to be a 1v1, but it's an asymmetrical game. Hell, even stillness crows honestly need to get buffed.

  • I agree

    I like borrowed time as a survivor and believe it or not but I have 0 problem with it as a killer, even after exit gates are powered. Just hit the unhooker and down him over and over again.

    The old DS sucked balls but I love the new DS and its concept. Both as a killer or survivor I have 0 problem with it.

    The new perk, mettle of man is just poorly designed imo. As a killer the only counter is to let the survivor go away and don't hit him 4Head.

    It could be a cool perk if it allowed you to tank a hit when you got unhooked. In that way, the survivor have a 'second chance' against a camper. The counterplay is simple as well, just like you avoid borrowed time by getting the unhooker, just don't hit the unhooked and down the unhooker.

    So make this perk a self borrowed time, situational, can be counterplayed but as strong as borrowed time.

  • @artist said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/402386#Comment_402386

    I feel your pain. I play pig, wraith, doc and hag. battle hag, stealth doc, or delete everything wraith is a lot of fun, but I can't always do that because of survivor builds. I also like to play survivor and try plunder, hide mid-chase, and heal builds just to get hit with a billy with his best addons. I shouldn't feel the need to deck out my build with 2nd chance after 2nd chance just in case I get players like those, but I do. what makes it worse is that those top tier killers that dont need those addons to compete still use them, making the game 10x harder (not to mention the already struggles of solo-play)

    @artist what's Battle Hag?

  • 2 addons to place traps faster, a standard m1 killer build, and you basically just chase and only place traps whenever someone gets to a pallet. really bad way to play hag I know, but NO PALLET IS SAFE