I'm genuinely curious about the reasoning behind the bloodpoint grind

As the title states, I'm curious as to the thought process behind the massive bloodpoint grind in this game. If this were an MMO with a monthly subscription fee, I could see the logic behind such a massive grind. It just doesn't make sense to me in the context of this game. I don't stop playing the game once I have desired perks unlocked. I simply play with those perks. I'm not spending any more money on the game because of the grind outside of buying the DLCs for teachables. I would actually say that I'd be inclined to play more if I had more build versatility across killers right now, but I'm not even close to having all perks unlocked on killers at 400 hours. I just don't understand why I should have to dump 10s of millions of bloodpoints into a single killer to get a single desired perk. I've had people interested in the game get turned off by the massive grind. What positive impact does it have on the game? I'm genuinely curious.

Comments

  • It's an incentive to keep playing for longer. That's what I see it as. If you had all the perks and got them so quickly it would get boring for most people.

  • Because of the so-called:

    “Blood Point Economy”

    Which is basically their cop out response for unbalanced mechanics like Moris, overly powerful add-ons, and certain items.

    They created a poor foundation for balance when they made certain add-ons and items with the idea you shouldn’t have them every game.

  • @Kagrenac said:

    It's an incentive to keep playing for longer. That's what I see it as. If you had all the perks and got them so quickly it would get boring for most people.

    I guess that's the hang up for me. I don't see why people who get bored when they have all the perks unlocked would be playing the game anyway. But maybe they're playing for a different reason.

  • @ModernFable said:

    Because of the so-called:

    “Blood Point Economy”

    Which is basically their cop out response for unbalanced mechanics like Moris, overly powerful add-ons, and certain items.

    They created a poor foundation for balance when they made certain add-ons and items with the idea you shouldn’t have them every game.

    I should have clarified, I don't take issue with the grind for add-ons, Moris, etc. Just perks.

  • They should really give players like 2-3% bonus BP's or Shards for each devotion level. The worst part of the eternal grind for me is the lack of recognition. Its not hard to give someone a small insignificant bonus based on the amount the amount of time they have devoted to this bug

  • As a low-ranked player with little time in DbD (because until recently, gray-rank Killer lobbies never popped for me, so I walked away from the game), I just don't care about the bloodpoint grind. I'll likely be low-ranked for a long time, since I don't play nightly and easily go several weeks to months playing other games with Family & Friends (they have no interest in DbD).

    I just play for fun; just to play my favorite killers like Myers or Freddy, or interesting originals like Doc or Huntress.

    At this stage as a new player, the BP grind for Teachables is so daunting with the endless parade of killers and survivors, that if I actually cared to focus on that, I would uninstall the game first. If I want that type of grind, I have MMOs I can go back to that actually have less grind.

    One really has to love-to-grind to pick this game up as a new player and stick with it as a main game, nowadays. It's a different beast entirely if you've been here playing regularly for a while by this point. But for a new player? It's asinine.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/391548#Comment_391548

    I should have clarified, I don't take issue with the grind for add-ons, Moris, etc. Just perks.

    @edgarpoop

    I don’t doubt.

    I don’t take issue with grind for those things either, but they are still part of the reason as to why the grind is so bad.

  • The game cant be played competitively, the BP grind is all that keeps us going

  • @Kagrenac said:

    It's an incentive to keep playing for longer. That's what I see it as. If you had all the perks and got them so quickly it would get boring for most people.

    Which only shows that DbD is a boring and bad game at its core.

    It's a typical casual mindset to bait people keep playing with grinding stuff instead of a good game. And majority falls for that, cuz... well, majority are casuals.