The real problem with NOED + rework ideas

Many survivors seem to think that the problem with NOED is how it affects gameplay at the endgame. While it's annoying af and unfair, I can't help but side with the killers on this one, since all you have to do is cleanse the damn totem.

However we all know that more than half the time, that never happens and the killers ends up killing a few survivors, if not all of them.

I think there is a balance issue here, but a minor one, however there is a much bigger issue with NOED that no one talks about and needs to be addressed.

NOED helps noob killers rank up too fast. We've all seen it. Killers that cannot catch anyone during the match, get 1-2 kills at the endgame thanks to NOED. I believe that killers need to practice against survivors their own level, because it's the only way they will learn and get better at the game. You learn by failing over and over again until you get it right, it's common knowledge. Currently they rank up, only to face even higher skilled survivors that make their games even more miserable, until they reach a place where not even NOED can help them. This creates a huge issue, since those killers will have a skewed perception of the game's balance and it leads to them overflooding the forums with unrealistic demands for balance changes, putting immense pressure on the devs. Sometimes the devs give in to those demands and break the game even more. It needs to stop.

At the moment, in my opinion, because of these unrealistic demands, the game is completely out of balance for solo survivors. They tried to improve the killer experience by constantly buffing them and giving them strong perks, so they have an easier time against swf. The result is swf is still strong and the solo survivors experience is ruined.

I have a few rework ideas for NOED that may give noob killers a harder time taking advantage of it:

  1. NOED is no longer a HEX perk. Works like before, but all pallets respawn when it activates.
  2. NOED activates when at least 1 exit gate is opened.
  3. NOED is also an obsession perk. If the obsession dies during the trial, the perk doesn't activate. The obsession sees the aura of the HEX totem when it activates. When the obsession starts working on the totem, he sees the killer's aura and vice versa.


Comments

  • @Well_Placed_HexTotem said:

    A totem counter is a hard nerf to NOED. Put it in Small Game. The problem isn’t solo survivors being outmatched, the problem is the solo survivors don’t want to adapt to gameplay and change their meta perks. They want to keep their Iron Will and Urban to sneak around maps and they don’t want to drop one for SG or Detectives Hunch, both of which make totem hunting VERY easy.

    I played a Doctor yesterday who wasn’t very good but thanks to NOED, turned one kill into three. I was running Detectives Hunch and I cleansed four totems. The other guys could not even get ONE totem done. I ran the killer for the last two gens, so they popped with me having no idea where the fifth totem was. I got hit while opening a gate and the last guy got chased out of the map with me on the hook.

    I don’t blame the killer there, I blame myself and my bum teammates who couldn’t even cleanse one totem. But a free totem counter on the HUD just reminds everyone at all times that totems are left and makes NOED pointless. Might as well just end the match as soon as five gens are done.

    Let's hope maybe they will fix the ranking system instead, so you and I can play together, rather than with noob teammates.

  • The problem you are trying to address has nothing to do with NOED. The only thing rank determines is how long you've been playing this season. Rank has to do with the amount of time played in a season, not skill, say like the arena ranking system in WoW.

    Depipping is not an effective tool to keep lower skilled players at low ranks. Anytime you play DBD consistent, you will have a positive net gain in pips. It's just the way the system is designed.

    Since I'm busy IRL, I have more time during certain rank reset periods than others. It's just so inconsistent. The same goes for survivors. I've played some of the best survivors I've played against at rank 8-15. I've played some terrible survivors at rank 2. That's why people say rank doesn't matter. It's so inconsistent.

1 2 ›