Controller players: The Oni vs The Dark Lord
For players who mainly use controller, which of these two do you think is easier to get more value from long-term?
The Oni
Very strong mobility and snowball potential, but his power seems to depend a lot on precise steering/flicks during Demon Dash and fast camera corrections.
The Dark Lord
More flexible kit with Hellfire, Wolf Pounce, and Bat mobility, but Hellfire needs accurate line-up and the second Wolf Pounce also seems to require quick, precise stick correction.
So overall, which one do you think translates better to controller in terms of:
consistency
precision required
learning curve
long-term ceiling
Also, what controller sensitivity do you use or recommend for each?
Comments
Dark lord would be easier one for sure. You can use him very close to pc player level. But likely need more practise and aiming is always little harder. But what I've seen you can do really well with him if you put the hours.
Oni has his limit on console. You can't still do as precise turns and flicks as pc. Good survivors won't let you have power and they can make matches really unpleasant. 2vs8 with teammate, the extra speed and longer demon dash removes most of his issues. But 1vs4 he feels significantly weaker.
Most my Oni experience in that mode is before the rework of his flicks and turning so my knowledge might not be up to date in 1vs4. Appearently you can do 180s now on console. The rework was done to close the gap between console and pc somewhat.
I would say base on your decision which killer you like to play more. Both are good with different strenght. Dark lord for consistency. Oni for higher peaks but more inconsistency naturally.
Thanks, that’s helpful. I was especially curious about Oni after the recent flick/turning changes, since a lot of older controller opinions may not reflect how he plays now.
If you tried current 1v4 Oni on controller after those changes, would you still say Dark Lord is clearly more consistent long-term, or has the gap narrowed quite a bit?
"Value" in "Fun"?
Definitly Oni. I think Dracula is an incredibly clunky and unfun killer to play.
Thanks. What specifically feels clunky to you about Dracula on controller — Hellfire aiming, the second Wolf Pounce, shapeshifting, or something else?
Also, have you played both killers a decent amount on controller, and have you tried Oni after the recent turning/flick changes? I’m mainly trying to compare long-term consistency and how much of each killer’s potential you can realistically access on controller.
I played them both exclusively on M&K so theres that.
But from the pure perspective of fun, dracula is sadly very unfun imo. His shapeshifting, his hellfire and his wolf pounce all feel extremely delayed from the actual inputs. His bat form is the only ability that feels kinda good, but even that has the weird BHVR fetish of making survivors invisible during use.
I cannot recommend Oni to you more, even though he could be piloted worse on controller.
I prefer Drac you can mirror a PC Drac if you are confident in your predictions. A lot of good hellfire hits are about hitting where somebody will be.
Are you playing Dracula on controller? Do you feel controller can stay close to mouse and keyboard specifically with Hellfire and the second Wolf Pounce, or is there still a noticeable gap at higher-level play? I’m mainly interested in long-term consistency after putting serious time into him, not just the initial learning curve.