Controller Killer Input - Reducing the Gap Without Making Killers Easier
I've been thinking about controller gameplay on the Killer side for a while, especially when it comes to some of the more mechanically demanding Killers.
I'm not saying controller players can't get good with them. Obviously they can. There are very good controller players using difficult Killers, and practice should absolutely matter.
But at the same time, I don't think "some people can master it anyway" means the controller experience can't be improved.
My main point is pretty simple:
I don't want Killers to be made easier for controller players. I just want better controller options so that the input itself creates less of an unnecessary limitation.
THE PROBLEM
Some Killers need fast camera movement, very small corrections, precise aiming, flicks, or a combination of speed and precision.
That can be awkward on a stick because sometimes you end up choosing between two things:
- Lower sensitivity for better control
- Higher sensitivity for faster turns and reactions
Depending on the Killer, you may need both.
A mouse and an analog stick are different input devices, so I don't expect them to ever feel exactly the same.
The goal shouldn't be to make controller identical to mouse.
The goal should be to reduce unnecessary input limitations where possible.
WHY THIS MATTERS FOR KILLER CHOICE
This is also why I don't really like the answer of "just play an easier Killer."
I play on controller because that's how I prefer to play. I still want to be able to use strong Killers, mechanically demanding Killers, or simply Killers that I enjoy.
I don't think controller players should feel pushed toward a smaller part of the roster just because those Killers happen to be easier to control with a stick.
Community tier lists are obviously subjective and change with patches, so I'm not saying any Killer is officially A-tier or A+.
But there are definitely Killers commonly considered strong or mechanically demanding that rely more heavily on precise power control, fast corrections, or both.
Controller players should still be able to choose those Killers and learn them without the input device adding more limitation than necessary.
WHAT COULD HELP
I think some useful controller improvements could be:
- Adjustable deadzones
- More response curve options
- Separate camera and power/aim sensitivity where it makes sense
- Per-Killer sensitivity profiles
- More control over acceleration
- Separate horizontal and vertical sensitivity if technically practical
- Optional gyro support on controllers that support it
I'm not saying all of these need to be added.
Even a few of them could make a noticeable difference.
Separate power sensitivity is especially interesting because Behaviour has already moved in that direction with some Killer controls.
If a Killer needs very precise power control, it makes sense to let the player tune that separately instead of forcing one sensitivity setting to handle both normal chase movement and precise aiming.
Per-Killer profiles could also help a lot.
The settings that feel good on one Killer may not feel right on another, so automatically remembering different control settings for different Killers would be a useful quality-of-life feature.
I also think native mouse and keyboard support on console could be useful for players who want it, but I don't think that should replace better controller support.
"Use a mouse" is not really a solution for someone who prefers playing with a controller.
WHAT I AM NOT ASKING FOR
I'm not asking for:
- Bigger hitboxes
- Stronger Killer powers
- Easier attacks
- Faster movement
- Less Survivor counterplay
- Controller-only gameplay advantages
The balance of the Killer should stay the same.
I'm mainly talking about the quality and flexibility of the input.
I also wouldn't want the main solution to be strong automatic aim assist.
I'd rather have more control over my own input.
If the game corrects or aims too much for the player, that can interfere with player control and skill expression.
Better controller settings seem like a cleaner solution because the player still has to do everything themselves.
THE COUNTERARGUMENT
A fair counterargument is that some controller players are already very good with Killers that people often describe as difficult on controller.
I agree with that.
Practice should matter.
Mechanical mastery should matter.
Difficult Killers should remain difficult.
But I don't think that means controller settings should stay limited forever.
A player being able to overcome an input limitation with enough practice doesn't automatically mean that limitation improves the game.
To me, there's a difference between:
"This Killer is difficult because I need better timing, prediction, reactions and mechanical skill."
and:
"This Killer is also difficult because I can't tune my controller the way I need to."
I want the first one to stay difficult.
That's part of learning and mastering the Killer.
I just think the second part can be improved.
FINAL THOUGHT
Controller players are not asking for easier Killers.
At least, that isn't what I'm asking for.
I just want better tools to configure the input so that more of the Killer roster feels realistically accessible at a high level.
I still want to lose when I make bad decisions.
I still want Survivors to outplay me.
I still want difficult Killers to take practice.
I just want the controller itself to be less of the thing I'm fighting against.
If Behaviour can reduce that input gap without lowering the skill ceiling or changing balance, I think it would improve both the controller experience and the variety of Killers people feel comfortable playing.
Comments
Hope oneday any applicable solution whether discussed in the above post or not and that would enhance controller players experience would come true.