Should main buildings be procedurally generated on maps?
DBD has procedural generation for tiles and pallets, everyone knows this. But should BHVR consider the idea of making the main building of every map (if the map can have one) to spawn in a random place and a random chance of what main building it can be. Also for those wondering about multiple map realms, i have a hot take for that and i think every realm should just have one map in general. It would get rid of map bloat and overstuffing realms with too many maps…. cough Withered Isle cough. But thats a discussion for another day, hear me out.
For Coldwind Farms every time you spawn on it and you look around and its the Groaning Storehouse main building but the the way the building is facing is different, or you could get the Thompson House main building but it spawns where shack spawns and the shack can spawn elsewhere.
I think it would lessen the thought of dbd feels the same all the time if the map had a little bit more rng elements in it with this idea.
Comments
Personally, I don't think DBD feeling the same all the time has much to do with the maps. Even though I'm very familiar with all of the maps, there's a lot of them. I also think that the game already has plenty of issues with things like which way shack is oriented combined with the random pallets or tiles can create a huge string of windows and pallets that's either extremely strong or occasionally just overpowered. I think randomizing the main building location would not only be difficult for the devs to do, but also would probably create more of these types of situations.
I also think that the main building of a map is usually how players get their bearings for where they are, especially at the start of the game. I think randomizing its location would make it much more disorientating especially for newer players.
It's not possible with the current licensing models. On the other hand it's already very hard to stop busted map generation from occuring, i can imagine that won't get better with random main buildings.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
If by random we mean that it could be as strange as the main building appearing along a side wall or right in the middle, that's both likely technically difficult as well as way too impactful.
If by random we mean choosing from a few different possible setups, that just seems like we are bringing back multiple map versions. There's only so many configurations you could have of a many main buildings, so you'd pretty quickly get 'Badham, Main building type C' or something. That seems to go against the idea of map bloat.
Overall, unless I misunderstand the idea, it doesn't seem feasible without it being way too impactful on the overall match depending on how the spawn occurs, or returning to just having multiple versions of each map.
Well technically we already have diffrent variations of the main buildings. There is certain doors, pallets or windows that can appear or be blocked or open depending on RNG. Like Garden of Joy's main building has at least two different variations of those for example.