Some Improvements For Lights Out

I won't pretend otherwise, I don't like Lights Out. I think the mode would be better off scrapped and replaced with something that focuses more on the stripped-back UI and emphasis on stealth without obscuring the screen with the darkness filter.
However, I do think that Lights Out can be improved from where it is now, and even if I'd never really vibe with it, I would like to see it improved for those who'd like it more if it functioned a bit better.

So, with that in mind, first I'll pitch my changes, then explain why.

  • When the killer hooks a survivor, they're sent to a hook on the other side of the map like in 2v8, and the killer does not get information on where.
  • When the killer hooks a survivor, the killer also gains 2-3 seconds of Killer Instinct on all other survivors.

My reasoning here is that, at least for me, the biggest frustration about Lights Out is that the almost complete info blackout means killers are less incentivised to use basekit tracking capacity to ferret out survivors - since half of them just don't work in this mode - and instead heavily incentivised to just stick by the hook and either proxy if they're feeling generous or hard tunnel if they're not.
This way, they can't proxy - at least not nearly as easily - but they also actually get some information to push them away and towards their victims.

If there's any power fantasy at play with Lights Out, it should be the deadly monster gliding silently through the darkness like a shark, while survivors have the experience of greater paranoia and uncertainty. This currently doesn't shake out that way, but it could with the right changes.

So, to recap, killers should get a small amount of basekit information to keep them moving, at the cost of having to ignore hooked survivors outright.

Comments

  • Honestly I feel like the current iteration is the most balanced it could be, minus 40s endgame endurance

    I think the lullaby etc being muted on killers who have it is a huuuge bonus, no other mode ever lets stuff like that happen. The anti camp is fine because if 2 or more survivors are near said hook they wont get anti camp also, I've only seen people who try to play the mode like normal 1v4 suffer where they camp and tunnel.

    Lights out much more benefits a hit and run playstyle, the tracking you are asking for is the lanterns, makes survivors plain as day to see. Screen space reflection lets you see the survivor through walls too