Lets Talk about Something that Needs to be Said...

I've spent a long time thinking about why some matches leave me excited to queue again, while others make me close the game entirely.

At first, I thought it was about balance.

It isn't.

I thought it was about certain killers.

It isn't.

I thought it was because I lost.

It definitely isn't.

The real difference is much simpler.

Did I lose because another player outplayed me... or because I reached a point where my decisions no longer mattered?

That single question has completely changed the way I look at Dead by Daylight.

Every great competitive game is built on the same foundation.

Counter-Strike.

League of Legends.

Rocket League.

Street Fighter.

Chess.

They're all completely different games.

Yet they all share one fundamental principle.

Knowledge changes the outcome.

If I lose today, I can learn.

If I learn, I improve.

If I improve, my chances of winning increase.

Not because the game becomes easier.

Because I become better.

That cycle is what keeps competitive games alive for decades.

Players don't keep coming back because they always win.

They come back because every defeat teaches them something.

Dead by Daylight has the same opportunity.

In fact, I believe it has the opportunity to become something no other game has ever truly achieved:

The defining asymmetrical competitive game.

Most competitive games ask players to master aim.

Or mechanics.

Or economy.

Or execution.

Dead by Daylight asks players to master people.

Predictions.

Psychology.

Mindgames.

Adaptation.

Reading another human being under pressure.

That is an incredible foundation.

But it only works if knowledge continues to matter.

Losing is not the problem.

Some of my favourite matches are ones where I died.

Why?

Because I knew exactly why I died.

I got greedy.

I hesitated.

I misread the killer.

I respected a fake.

I vaulted when I shouldn't have.

The killer conditioned me for thirty seconds and finally caught me.

Those are amazing chases.

Not because I escaped.

Because I learned something.

The next time I face that killer...

I become a better player.

This is where frustration begins.

Frustration isn't losing.

Frustration begins when knowledge no longer changes the outcome.

When I understand exactly what the killer is about to do...

Yet that understanding doesn't create another option.

It only prepares me for the inevitable.

At that point I stop asking:

"How do I beat this?"

Instead I ask:

"How do I accept this?"

That is a dangerous question for any competitive game.

Survivors have one language.

No matter how many survivor perks Behaviour creates...

Survivor gameplay will always revolve around the same foundations.

Pallets.

Windows.

Tiles.

Positioning.

Distance.

Mindgames.

These are not just objects on the map.

They are how survivors express skill.

Killers, on the other hand, are where almost all gameplay innovation happens.

Every new killer introduces new mechanics.

New pressure.

New rules.

New interactions.

That's exactly how it should be.

The mistake isn't creating complex killers.

The mistake is creating complexity by reducing meaningful interaction.

Complexity should create decisions, not remove them.

The best killer powers ask difficult questions.

Should I greed?

Should I fake?

Should I hold W?

Should I double back?

Should I force the commitment?

Should I bait the power?

Those are fantastic questions.

They create depth.

But when the answer becomes:

"Every option loses."

the interaction stops being interesting.

The survivor technically made a choice.

The outcome didn't care.

The goal should never be unavoidable situations.

Not because survivors deserve to escape.

Because competitive games deserve meaningful decisions.

I don't want weaker killers.

I don't want longer chases.

I don't want survivors buffed.

I'd happily play against the strongest killer in Dead by Daylight if every hit felt earned.

If the killer predicted me.

Conditioned me.

Forced me into a mistake.

Outsmarted me.

Then they deserved the hit.

And I deserved to lose.

That's the kind of defeat that keeps people improving.

Learning must always matter.

Imagine spending hundreds of hours mastering a matchup.

Studying timings.

Learning habits.

Recognising patterns.

Predicting powers.

Then eventually reaching one conclusion:

"I know exactly what's about to happen...

...but knowing doesn't actually help me."

If knowledge no longer changes your chances of success...

What exactly are players mastering?

That is the question I think every competitive game should ask itself.

This is the design philosophy I hope Dead by Daylight embraces.

Every new killer should make me think:

"How do I beat this?"

Not:

"How do I survive something I already know is coming?"

One question creates innovation.

The other creates resignation.

Dead by Daylight doesn't need less complexity.

It needs complexity that rewards both players for understanding each other better.

Because in the greatest competitive games ever made, victory isn't decided by who removes the other player's options.

It's decided by who makes the better decisions.

And I believe that's the future Dead by Daylight should strive for.

Comments

  • Very long philosophical pamphlet you wrote there. While they are not asymmetrical games, poker, trading card games, and fighting games are similar to DBD in terms of reading your opponent and so on. Furthermore, you should give some examples because, while your text is long, it is completely open to interpretation. Regarding your topic, I think map design is the biggest factor in determining how counterable a killer is, while there are a few killers that specifically require help from your teammates to be countered.

    On the topic of "every killer introduces new mechanics": While that is true, those new mechanics don't stack. Switching killers takes away some mechanics and adds new ones. For survivors, it would be quite awkward to remove core mechanics like pallets and windows and replace them with something completely different. They do, however, get some additions to their gameplay through killers like the Xenomorph and Singularity.

    'Gideon Meat Plant' is a nice example of what a mechanics change could have looked like. There are barely any usable windows, so they could have been removed entirely. Weaken the pallets to create counterplay and add a new mechanic for survivors (Crawl spaces maybe?).

  • Thanks for the reply. I think we actually agree on more than we disagree.

    I also agree that map design plays a huge role, and I probably should have included more concrete examples because my post was intentionally focused on the philosophy rather than specific killers.

    My point isn't that every killer should play the same or that anti-loop mechanics shouldn't exist. Quite the opposite—I want every killer to feel unique and force survivors to adapt in different ways.

    The distinction I'm trying to make is between creating new interactions and reducing interaction.

    For example, I think Huntress is a great example of interactive design. She can threaten pallets and windows with hatchets, but every throw is a commitment. As a survivor I can juke, fake a pallet, change direction, force an early throw, or capitalize on a miss. If I get hit, I usually feel like I was outplayed.

    Compare that to more controversial killers like Pyramid Head or Knight. I'm not saying they're overpowered or that they shouldn't exist. My concern is that some situations can leave the survivor thinking, "I know exactly what the killer is going to do, but that knowledge doesn't meaningfully increase my chances of avoiding the hit." That's the distinction I'm trying to highlight.

    The same philosophy applies when I play killer. My favourite downs aren't the ones that feel guaranteed—they're the ones where I conditioned the survivor, predicted their movement, baited a vault, or read them correctly. Those hits feel earned because I won the mental battle, not because my power removed their options.

    That's why I think the discussion is less about balance and more about agency. A killer can be incredibly strong and still be healthy if both players feel their decisions influence the outcome. Blight is a good example: he's one of the strongest killers in the game, yet many players enjoy the matchup because both sides are constantly making reads and adapting.

    Ultimately, the question I'm trying to ask isn't "Is this killer balanced?" It's:

    "Does mastering this matchup consistently reward the player with more opportunities to express skill?"

    For me, that's a more interesting discussion than whether a killer sits at a 58% or 62% kill rate. If learning a matchup doesn't meaningfully improve your ability to influence the outcome, then I think the game loses some of what makes competitive games so rewarding to master.

  • One thing I forgot to mention is that I don't think it's a coincidence that some of the most controversial killers in the game's history—Knight, Skull Merchant, Pyramid Head, and more recently Vecna—all spark the same type of discussion. People aren't just arguing about whether they're strong or weak; they're arguing about how interactive their chase mechanics feel.

    I'm not saying those killers are objectively overpowered or badly designed. My point is simply that whenever the community debates them, the conversation almost always comes back to the same question: "Did I have meaningful decisions that could realistically change the outcome?"

    That's really the core of what I was trying to get across. My concern has never been about making killers weaker—it's about making sure mastery of a matchup consistently rewards both sides with more opportunities to express skill.

  • Potential maybe. But with those devs there is no way this could ever happen.

  • To me, Dracula feels like he combines several chase archetypes into one killer.

    • Pyramid Head because he can threaten survivors through pallets and windows.
    • Hillbilly because of the high-speed mobility and ability to rapidly close distance.
    • Demogorgon because of his lunging dash attacks that can punish survivors from unexpected ranges.