Totems are way too difficult to find on swamp maps
Totems have been impossibly difficult to find on swamp maps (without a dedicated perk or a map specifically with a purple addon) forever, but now with the popularity of Hex builds, with Thrill hardly getting nerfed, and most of all Hex Jason being in the game, it makes the problem that much more obvious. Without a dedicated perk/build or a map with one specific addon, the survivors could literally spend the entire game looking for totems and still not find all of them, completely screwing them over. Even if they did find the totems, there's always the chance that the killer can just push them off. And if you don't look for them, you're stuck dealing with Blood Favor, Ruin, and potentially Devour Hope or Hivemind, and this build is, again, most popular on Jason and other killers with map mobility that can not only make very good use of Ruin by pushing survivors off gens, but also are good at defending totems. These killers are also, coincidentally, usually some of the strongest killers in the game. The rich get richer.
The main issue is that totems can spawn on the literal edge of these absolutely massive maps, leading to about 1000 spots the survivors need to check. This same thing occurs with the hatch, but obviously that's less of an issue.
Totems should not be able to spawn at the edge of the map, even without that space there would still be plenty of places for totems to spawn because of the sheer size, foliage, and clutter of swamp maps.
Comments
I dont think we should restrict totem spawns but survivor should have a better totem finding perk.
I would like to see a buff with small games in some way, perhaps just straight aura rather then noise notification.
I mean I agree Small Games needs a buff, and I imagine that'll be one of the 45 perks the devs mentioned for the next big update considering they said they were focusing on general perks. However, I disagree with the sentiment of fixing issues with perks. That has been the way BHVR often first attempts to address issues, and band aid fixes like that not only are not as effective, but require you to bring one specific perk and restrict build variety. I am a firm believer that you should not be required to run multiple slowdown perks to win games, you should not have to bring DS to not get tunneled, and you shouldn't have to bring one specific totem build for Hex builds on an inflated map
There are only so many spawn locations for totems on a 1v4 map, definitely not 1000 or even 100. If there are maps you're having trouble with finding the spawns you can load into some custom matches with a totem load out to find the various spawns until you learn them. If you don't want to do it that way bring a map or run one of the perks that helps to locate totems until you learn the spawn locations. There are also videos on YouTube that show the spawn locations.
Personally I like when a totem spawns on the edge of the swamp maps. If that happens it usually means its away from gens so the killer has to choose between defending the totem or defending the gens. When running a boon totem it also usually stays up a bit longer because killer needs to go out of their way to snuff it.
I swear over the years the spawns have been getting changed. I remember before the graphical rework I would search the outskirts of the map and it would be totems.
Bring a map. I almost always do when I've got totem perks
Eleven's perk, Extrasensory Perception is a really good perk for locating totems.
There are a lot of ways to find totems with perks and items. With the prevalence of hex builds atm I've been running maps with sharpened flint a lot recently. But there are plenty of perks that help find totems, small game, counter force, extra sensory etc
And the swamp maps are large but also dark, which makes lit hexes more obvious