Suggestion: Modern Anti-Cheat Upgrade for DBD
The Problem
While Easy Anti-Cheat (EAC) catches basic hacks, Dead by Daylight is plagued by subtle cheaters. Minor 1–2% speed boosts, micro-teleports, and constant wallhacks are incredibly hard to detect but completely ruin the balance of a competitive asymmetric game. We need a modern, kernel-level security upgrade inspired by Riot Vanguard (Valorant) and EA Javelin (Battlefield VI).
Key Solutions to Adopt
- Proactive Scanning (Battlefield VI): Validate game data on the server side before a trial begins to catch tampered files instantly.
- Hardware ID (HWID) Bans (Valorant): Ban the cheater’s actual PC hardware components, not just their account. This stops them from simply buying a cheap alternative account to bypass a ban.
- Instant Match Cancellation: If the system detects a mid-game hack (like modified movement or interaction speeds), terminate the match immediately. Innocent players must not lose their Add-ons, Offerings, or Pips.
- Smart Data Hiding: Stop sending survivor or killer location data to the client PC until they are actually within legitimate line-of-sight or hearing range. This renders wallhacks and aura cheats useless.
Why This Matters
In a standard shooter, a cheater using aimbot is obvious. In DBD, a survivor running just 2% faster completely breaks the math of every single window and pallet loop. Standard anti-cheat tools cannot catch these micro-adjustments on the fly. Upgrading to a robust, deep-level security framework is the only way to safeguard the game's competitive future.
Comments
They literally posted about sercurity update that forces people to update stuff or remove things that they see as a problem just yesterday on steam and on this forum. So they are doing security upgrades that will make cheating harder.
I mean, although it definitely feels like a competitive game, DBD officially is still not a competitive game, simply an online PVP game. I do think the game needs a much more robust anti-cheat, not only because there's a serious issue with cheaters but also because the thing barring some people from wanting the game to go free to play is that the anti-cheat sucks. However, I think something like Riot Vanguard is unrealistic. Even amongst competitive games, I don't know if there are any other games with such an effective anti-cheat, probably due to both the cost of developing it and also the invasiveness that has to be allowed by the user. I'm not sure if you even could do something as invasive as Vanguard through Steam, but I could be wrong.
One of the reasons Arc Raiders died out was the rampant cheating. I don’t want to see Dead by Daylight suffer the same fate. I hope the developers take these issues seriously.