Better accommodations for the Deaf Community

I was recently watching a TikTok about skill checks and someone in the comments said they are deaf and have so much difficulty playing because they cannot hear the audible prompts before the skill checks and there are no subtitles for killer noises. I’d love if more deaf people could weigh in on the issue. I would love to brainstorm ideas for accessibility features for those who are deaf or with hearing loss so they aren’t unnecessarily at an unfair advantage when playing. My first idea is to have a visual red pulse go across the screen before a skill check. It needs to be visible from any camera angle, so not just a visual queue on the generator. I think vibration settings would be another option on console but would be more difficult for PC players.

Let me know what you guys think.

Comments

  • We already have the Visual Terror Radius so I'd be fine with this. The game is historically lacking in accessibility options (which end up neglected). The only issue is that the game would have to be balanced to accommodate it and I'm not sure what that would look like. I could see someone like Spirit being a real problem.

  • Being hard of hearing in this game really sucks, but I don't see any of it being fixed. We've been asking for a visual que for skill checks for years.

  • i dont see i happening people with eye problems dont have a dark mode blind yet and people with motion sickness cant turn of tilting camera so i dont think its something the devs really care about

  • I personally don't need this, but this should have been a thing ages ago.

    Global audio cues also need an accessibility option. For example Oni getting, starting and ending power. Plague starting power. Twins releasing Victor and Charlotte waking up, Billy getting Overdrive, Michael tiering up, Nemesis tiering up.

    There are a lot of other sound effects that probably need it too, but the things I described unambiguously are meant to be heard (contrast with e.g. hearing Wraith snarling near you) and there's zero gameplay impacts for letting deaf people know it's happening.