Map (Item) Overhaul Suggestions
We're a little ways away from Maps initially being reworked now, and I think it's fair to say the rework didn't quite land where it should have. Keys got a borderline perfect rework, but Maps are languishing, which I'd like to try and fix.
Now, there's a lot about the Map rework that I do like, so we'll be keeping the overall shape. Lower charges that are consumed for a flat duration of the map's effect, plus the two-stage activation for letting the beam of light be basekit, will be kept here.
The problem I want to fix has more to do with the identity of the item. Before, Maps were the static-object tracker to contrast Keys being the player tracker, and while that's still there I'd argue what Maps currently reveal is too far away from what they did before. So, let's go point by point to give Maps a fresh coat of paint:
First, increase the number of charges just slightly. This will help out with another change I'm suggesting down below, and honestly, I don't think anything Maps do now or will do at the end of this list of changes is strong enough to worry about the extra charges.
I suggest increasing each rarity's default charges by 2. So, brown Map has 6, green Map has 7, blue Map has 8. For the sake of consistency, the Bloodsense Map can keep its 8 so it's just a fancy variant of the highest rarity Map in this regard, like other event items.
With this change, a Map's maximum charges via addons will be 10, which it is now if you use a Bloodsense Map but this would be available year-round instead of being tied to events.
Next, shake up what Maps reveal and when. I'd pitch it flow like this:
- Channel the Map to start the base aura reveal, which would reveal Generators and Chests within the radius for the duration. The radius and duration can either be standardised between variants or remain as they are, depending on testing; the big part is Maps now reveal Generators again and also provide a way of revealing Chests, which has been missing from Maps since their inception.
- While the Map is currently active, you have two followups:
- Press the Active Ability 1 to consume another token and reveal pallets + vault spots for the remainder of the duration;
- Press the Active Ability 2 to instead place down a beam of light to reveal the location of Generators and Chests to your teammates. This effect does not consume a token, but does end your own aura read duration.
- You can only choose one followup, the other is locked out until you channel the Map again.
This retains the new Windows of Opportunity effect, without cancelling out what Maps already did and in my opinion should provide, and also without cluttering the screen with a ridiculous amount of auras. It uses the two-stage "press the button again" concept for the beam of light, but provides more options to pick between depending on situation.
Overall, I don't actually think this is all that complicated compared to how Maps work now. It's basically just having two buttons to press after the initial channel instead of one, and the basic function of the item doesn't require either so just using Maps to find basic things is simpler.
Finally, one more change, which is to rework the iridescent. The iridescent Crimson Stamp is, in my opinion, completely the wrong fit for a Map addon, and should be changed. I'll pitch an example replacement effect below, but I'm not married to it, just so long as it's an addon for this item after it's changed.
New Crimson Stamp:
- Aura reveals are now map-wide;
- The Map can additionally track the Hatch by consuming another token;
- Caps the Map's total charges to 5
While that may not be perfect, it's at least an addon that revolves around the Map's function and identity.
After this set of changes, I think Maps would comfortably sit alongside Keys in finally being able to perform their function properly with a shiny new functionality added on for good measure.
Comments