Moving forward: 1MMR Fault
With tunneling, camping and slugging being put on the onus of Survivors to deal with last year. It has really increased the pressure that Killers freely apply on Survivors using these tactics. While I personally hold back on these tactics because I want everyone to have a good time and not feel like they need to throw slurs in endgame chat.
However BHVR did announce they were working on other things to improve the camping, tunnel, slugfest that is going on, so here are some things idd like to point out about the MMR system and how it makes errors in my opinion.
Put simply MMR 1456 Blight is not the same difficulty as MMR 1456 Singularity.
Not only do they have vast different play-rates, but that play-rate means Survivors are going to get a surprise in gameplay. Two of my friends have no clue what to do against singularity, but they know how to play against a huntress. I get why BHVR would assume a MMR 1456 Survivor should be able to take both on, it makes the Queue System easy. But it creates faults when a player is thrown into a Killer they dont know, but the MMR system says they would escape yet we dont.
Solution A: would be to store an MMR vs every Killer to ensure every player has a fair measured way to play against that particular Killer and calculate MMR rating for the 4man based on each players experience with every Killer while still keeping the General Survivor MMR. This is costly in the long run I imagine.
OR perhaps the queue system has to be rewritten to more accurately tailor the experience.
Dodging would be a bigger problem then.
Solution B: would be to change BHVR's tune in regards to leaving vague tips on the loading screen and start actually providing written explanations on how to counterplay the Killers. I remember one of your first streams, you guys eluded to taking the approach of Dark Souls by giving only hints and letting players figure out what to do.
However we are now in the year of 2026, there are now +30 Killers and I cant remember what to do all the time.
It would definitely help me more if the loading screen tips could be made more concrete and specific as a help rather than what it is currently.
Perhaps others can think of better solutions but thats my take.
And I think tracking each players MMR with every Killer could reveal gaps in Killer design as to whats intuitive or easily picked up on.
Comments
The issue, I think, with adding very specific counterplay tips is that sometimes the devs intended counterplay and the actual counterplay aren't the same.
Look at how bots play against Plague. They spam cleanse. And that's bad because most players prefer to vs low-cleanse plague, where you are all injured and shes an m1 killer with very limited uses of her power (outside of iri), instead of high-cleanse plague, where youre all healthy and try and force her power on her by using up all of the fountains.
When approaching making tips for plague, what do BHVR suggest? To cleanse, like they instruct their bots to do, or not cleanse, like the playerbase agrees to do?
And this is just one small example of larger disparities in play. It doesn't account for regional differences or playstyle differences or tech to nulify intended counterplay.
I would like to see a few things to help with this.
Whenever I decide to start playing a new killer, I always hop into a custom first to feel them out. Not only do I learn how to play them, but I get a better understanding of how to play against them. One match is really all it takes. If every survivor-player did this, it would only take a week to learn how every killer works. Problem is, many are locked behind shards and pay walls. Ideally, every killer should be unlocked in customs. I don't know if this is contractually possible with the IP ones but it is for the originals.
MMR needs ro account for more than just escapes and kills to be more technically accurate. Chase times, gen completion, heals, saves, body blocks, etc. Give people MMR gains for hatch escapes so they can't smurf in low MMR through ratting. There's way more to this game than two factors.
I'd also like to see better tips on the loading screen but, more so, I'd like survivor tutorials with each killer so you can properly learn the counters.
As the game is right now, a lot of killer wins seem to depend on 1) bad matchmaking and 2) survivor ignorance, as survivor is way more info-heavy but with no real in-game assistance. That's a pretty bad place to be if that's what maintains KRs.