Game Mode Idea: Innate Trials
Hey everyone,
I’ve been thinking about a potential game mode or custom rule set in DBD, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.
What if there was a mode where you could only use:
- The three inherited (base) perks of your chosen Survivor or Killer, and
- One additional perk of your choice (from any unlocked perks)?
For example:
- If you're playing Meg, you’d have:
- Sprint Burst
- Adrenaline
- Quick & Quiet
- One extra perk of your choice (like Windows of Opportunity or Off the Record)
- Or if you're playing The Huntress, you’d have:
- Beast of Prey
- Territorial Imperative
- Hex: Huntress Lullaby
- One extra Killer perk of your choice (like Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance)
The idea behind it:
- Emphasize character identity and lore, since base perks are often tied to that character’s playstyle.
- Encourage variety and creativity, rather than just using full meta builds.
- Create a more level playing field, especially for newer players who may not have every perk unlocked.
Some questions for you:
- Would you enjoy this kind of mode — either in public matches or as a custom match rule set?
- Who do you think would benefit most from this setup?
- Which characters would be at a disadvantage with only their base perks + one?
- What’s a fun or powerful build you’d run under these rules?
Personally, I think it would be a fun way to rediscover characters you might not normally play and break away from the usual loadouts. It could also create some interesting matchups and force you to think more strategically.
Curious to hear your takes!
Comments
It doesn't sound bad. But if the mode is based on lore, I think it would only work if the maps were also tied to the Survivors or Killer. The realm could be generated based on the majority of the characters in the trial.
I've always wanted to play in RPD with the whole RE group, so you can count me in if that ever happens. 😅
That would be a cool idea! I mean you could gather your team and use an offering to achieve the same goal but if it was implemented to use the map associated with a particular killer or group of survivors then that would definitely make it more lore oriented.
I'd try it but I probably wouldn't stick with it. I feel you'd see a lot less variety, as survivors would be chosen for, most likely, exhaustion perks, and killers with strong perks would be favored. None of my mains would be super appealing to me.
What could make it more interesting is combining it with the Chaos Shuffle concept, but it's the characters who are shuffled. Choose survivor, and you'll get a random survivor with their three perks. Same for killlers.
I can definitely see how certain characters with strong base kits (like Meg or Wesker) would end up being favored, while others might feel less viable or appealing — especially for people who main niche characters. That’s one of the trade-offs of limiting builds to inherited perks: you get more “thematic” and lore-driven gameplay, but possibly at the cost of variety and meta flexibility.
I really like your idea of combining it with Chaos Shuffle, but with a twist — instead of picking a Survivor and randomizing perks, what if it worked the other way around? You could pick one random perk, and then the mode assigns you a random Survivor whose inherited perks get added to that one. It’d keep things unpredictable while still giving you a small sense of choice, and it might push people to try builds or characters they usually avoid.