Why did you stop playing dbd as much?

I know a lot of people talk about how overly competitive dbd is. But out of all of the online multi-player games I've played, it's probably one of the least toxic, competitive games in my experience. The pvp and war players in New World Aeturnum make Dead By Daylight look like Monopoly Go by comparison. (And players in New World can switch on their mic whenever they want to and tell you off. They can also tell you off in the ingame chat that plays DURING the game.)

I think what makes dbd feel more toxic and more competitive than it really is is the simplicity of the game itself. There's killing and surviving in one particular scenario. And that's it. Unlike New World, there is no way to really avoid that highly competitive gameplay, so the competitive nature of dbd becomes unavoidable and relentless. I think that's why I mostly want to play dbd when a different game mode drops. I enjoy dbd, but it can get so monotonous to play.

I think when the devs created dbd, they envisioned it as a fun, spooky hide and go seek game. But somewhere along the way it got away from them and turned into Call of Duty with generators. I think the devs can't really "fix" dbd because in their mind it's still a casual, fun party game. Or at least they want it to be that. The simplicity of dbd, winning by killing or surviving, killer vs survivor, has created a completely different competitive game where people often feel frustrated, cheated, tired and angry. And sometimes I find myself gravitating to playing other things instead.

Comments

  • @angel_pellegrino said:

    I know a lot of people talk about how overly competitive dbd is. But out of all of the online multi-player games I've played, it's probably one of the least toxic, competitive games in my experience. The pvp and war players in New World Aeturnum make Dead By Daylight look like Monopoly Go by comparison. (And players in New World can switch on their mic whenever they want to and tell you off. They can also tell you off in the ingame chat that plays DURING the game.)

    I think what makes dbd feel more toxic and more competitive than it really is is the simplicity of the game itself. There's killing and surviving in one particular scenario. And that's it. Unlike New World, there is no way to really avoid that highly competitive gameplay, so the competitive nature of dbd becomes unavoidable and relentless. I think that's why I mostly want to play dbd when a different game mode drops. I enjoy dbd, but it can get so monotonous to play.

    I think when the devs created dbd, they envisioned it as a fun, spooky hide and go seek game. But somewhere along the way it got away from them and turned into Call of Duty with generators. I think the devs can't really "fix" dbd because in their mind it's still a casual, fun party game. Or at least they want it to be that. The simplicity of dbd, winning by killing or surviving, killer vs survivor, has created a completely different competitive game where people often feel frustrated, cheated, tired and angry. And sometimes I find myself gravitating to playing other things instead.

    my controller is broken

    thats genuinely my only reason I'd still be playing daily if I had the ability to run as a survivor and play killer without my controller falling apart

  • Combination of things. I have too much going on to play for 2 or 3 hours at a time. When you stick me in an absolutely pointless solo queue game against a hard tunneling S tier killer, I feel like what little time I have is being wasted.

    I also don't like the direction that killer designs are going. S tier killers shouldn't be some of the easiest characters in the game to play. They certainly shouldn't have auto-aim powers. Killers are becoming way, way, way too easy relative to their power level.

  • The killers I joined the game to play are not able to keep up in the meta well and even when I win, it doesn't feel fun.

    I'll occasionally hop on to play survivor or a killer like Dracula or Unknown, but it's not for long. I'm not really motivated to play the Halloween event either. I've been playing other games instead, like Limbus Company or Voices of the Void.

1 2 ›