Feedback On New Keys & Maps
With killer queues being what they are at the moment, I've taken to playing survivor most recently, and part of what I've been doing is testing out the new stuff from the last patch. I feel I have enough experience with the two items that got reworked in particular to give some feedback, and it's pretty mixed.
I'll start with keys, because I want to establish first that I think this rework is great. Keys fill their role so much better now, alongside having a new function entirely- both the teammate aura and the insta-unlock for chests are worthwhile effects, leaning into what keys did before while giving them new functionality and making them far less addon dependant.
It's not all positives, since the Blood Amber did cop an extremely hefty nerf from what I can tell, but that's a pretty reasonable sacrifice in my opinion. Keys are damn near perfect.
It's important I establish that first, because I think maps got the short end of the stick in a way that contrasts pointedly with keys.
In comparison, maps did get new functionality, but their old functionality was practically gutted and they're no less addon dependant- the only things that changed are that you can get FEWER effects with addons, and the one effect you can still get has been moved to a more expensive addon. Maps copped a downgrade here overall, even if their new effect is quite useful- they went up and down, where keys only went up, Blood Amber notwithstanding.
A few thoughts about maps:
- I see no reason maps shouldn't reveal generators without needing to put the beam of light down first. It's a useful effect for everyone, especially newer players, and pretty much the base pitch for the map as an item. It's a little strange that this was removed.
- Totem reveal really should be basekit, it's one of the three main things you'd want to see with an item where the pitch is "you can see the aura of static objects within the trial". If they're going to be on an addon, it should at least be a cheap addon.
- Related to that, I don't really understand why the totem addon disables the map's main effect of showing pallets and windows. It doesn't bother me since I never really cared about that effect to begin with, but I'm sure it's disappointing to some people- it doesn't even say it does this in the addon's description, so maybe it's a bug?
- CHESTS. One of the BIGGEST flaws with maps, the most glaring oversight that used to exist, is that there was no way of making them track CHESTS aside from Detective's Hunch. Not only are they not trackable with the new maps at base - another example of how the previous use cases for maps have been largely removed on a conceptual level - but you can't even get them from addons. With how much of a push BHVR are making for chests and items to be more of a big deal in the trial, I think it's a big mistake to not add a perkless way of tracking chest locations like this.
- While I do like the idea of lowering the number of addons to reduce bloodweb bloat - a real problem, especially for survivors - I do feel the combination of changing maps at base the way they were AND lowering the number of addons this much leaves maps losing tons of functionality. I'm sure some of it is fine - there was never really much call to track hooks unless you were going for a sabotage build - but losing other effects like the exit gates being trackable is genuinely noticeable.
- This is a smaller deal and not necessarily something I think should be fixed but I think it's worth highlighting, just to reinforce my point again, that the map's iridescent addon reflects how the item's initial use case isn't deemed all that important anymore. Maps always tracked static objects, keys always tracked players, and the map's iridescent addon tracks… the killer, same as the key's iridescent addon. If the Blood Amber had been reworked to, say, track chests, I'd kinda understand - the items get iridescent addons that break the rules and swap their roles, in that case - but as it stands maps just feel confused in purpose.
I don't think these issues are unfixable, though. Honestly, I think it'd be pretty easy- here's what I'd propose:
- Base effect of maps: Channel the item to reveal the aura of pallets, windows, generators, and chests within [X] metres
- (Also the beam of light, unchanged)
- Shuffle around addons so the totem one is a lower rarity (maybe just flat out swap it with the one for increasing range? That is a really good effect for current maps)
- Add in two more addons: One for tracking the exit gates, one for tracking the hatch. This could feasibly be a single addon (maybe the replacement purple after downgrading the totem tracking addon?) since those effects are similar-ish in intention.
TL;DR: Maps and keys used to share an issue. You had to run addons to meaningfully engage with the item's clearest niche, showing static objects and showing player auras respectively.
Keys got this fixed by making their clearest niche basekit and adding an extra effect on top for good measure.
Maps, by contrast, got their clearest niche severely diminished, and only got an extra effect on top.
Comments
I mostly agree with you.
I created my own discussion about this topic:
The only two things I want to happen and I did not put in the post, are swapping the rarities of Gnarled Compass and Sharpened Flint around, and adding one small thing to distinguish the three map variants:
The common map would track Exit Gates basekit.
The uncommon would track Chests basekit.
And the rare one would track Totems basekit.
This would make it so there is a reason to run each map.
So in comparison to the old system:
As for maps on the other hand:
All in all, the new way is different but I wouldn't say it's in a better place. I think new functionalities could have been added to the existing items without completely redoing the entire system.
I was making my own thread on this with largely the same observations, but since you've done the work, I'll just pop them in here. My quick fire thoughts:
Iridescent Rework
The Iri offering revealing the killer to me is illogical to what maps are for. Keys are for players, maps are for terrain, and I think keeping this logic distinct is much better for maintaining eaches identity. I also believe that maps are a much more convenient item than keys, and having this killer aura reveal means the charges have to be lower to account for it. So would say remove the killer aura from the iridescent to allow more charges.
I would then make it so that channelling a map with the iridescent reveals the aura of the map itself, and any aura it sees to all other survivors.
While this doesn't sound particularly flash on paper, it opens up a lot of subtle and clever uses for maps: -
TLDR
That's how I see maps working best: -
Also want to add that I agree with you whole heartedly on keys. Keys are perfect, even regarding Blood Amber for keys... I don't see it as a nerf.
The fact the range is limitless means you have the effect of Object of Obsession, but it's entirely in your beck and call. That is very good no matter how you slice it.
Obviously its strength in looping isn't quite so strong, but I would also argue that in many cases the killer seeing your aura isnt even a problem anyway, the fact you are completely unmindgamable means you can always counter rotate the killer and force the killer to walk after you/try and get angle on your terms, not theirs. Yes Nurse is Nurse, but outside of that not a big issue…
Plus, we also have access to old keys... but a buffed version. Take Distortion... it charges in chase, blocks your Aura reveal, hides you scratch marks and let's you see the killers aura.
This is the reason I don't take complaints about Blood Amber seriously. Just take Distortion and you have a considerably stronger version of Blood Amber than you ever did before.