Add-Ons need Streamlining

Part of the issue with some items is that you can double stack a specific buff, but on top of that, a lot of add-ons are useless.

I think the way the add-ones have been done for the bomb, keys and map is a good change. 5 add-ons, each buff a different part of the the item. Less bloat in the blood web, and no way to stack buffs. Probably much easier to balance on BHVRs end too.


I don’t think perks like Franklin’s and Built to Last should be touched until something like this happens.


Killers don’t really need 20 add-ons either. How many Killers even have 10 good add ons that are worth taking? 10 add-ons, each with much more specific, and impactful changes would be both more interesting, and easier to balance.

Comments

  • Streamlining in the industry means make everything mediocre.

  • I agree about item addons being too bloated and they could probably be trimmed down (mostly just by removing duplicates and probably needing to adjust the items a bit with that in mind), but I think killer addons should remain at 20 the way they are. Most killer powers (especially newer ones) are far more complex than items and have a lot more things that an addon could meaningfully customize or alter. That's not to say that all addons in the game are good (especially some older killers really need addon passes), but the potential for 20 good addons for a killer power is there imo. Whereas with items there's really only so many things that an addon can do because you just don't have as much to work with.

    Having said that, I wish that some older killers did not have so many duplicate addons that do the same thing but just with a number change. They actually mostly stopped doing this after Artist and killers released since then have generally had much better addon variety. There's definitely no reason for Wraith to have 3 Windstorm addons for example.

  • I don't like the new way of having just 5 per item.

    There is a sweet spot imo, 8 or 9 add-ons per item.

    Not that many, but not too little.

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    I agree about item addons being too bloated and they could probably be trimmed down (mostly just by removing duplicates and probably needing to adjust the items a bit with that in mind), but I think killer addons should remain at 20 the way they are. Most killer powers (especially newer ones) are far more complex than items and have a lot more things that an addon could meaningfully customize or alter. That's not to say that all addons in the game are good (especially some older killers really need addon passes), but the potential for 20 good addons for a killer power is there imo. Whereas with items there's really only so many things that an addon can do because you just don't have as much to work with.

    Having said that, I wish that some older killers did not have so many duplicate addons that do the same thing but just with a number change. They actually mostly stopped doing this after Artist and killers released since then have generally had much better addon variety. There's definitely no reason for Wraith to have 3 Windstorm addons for example.

    I have to disagree with removing duplicates that scale with rarity. Using Wraith as an example you won't always be able to run purple Windstorm. However having yellow and green Windstorm basically guarantees you can always have a Windstorm if you want. I personally think that's the best thing you can do for most killers. Give them a few addons that are generally helpful to their ability with scaling power across the rarities. Then fill in the rest with addons that have interesting effects.