Killers camping hooks

It really seems to have become a big issue with killers camping hooked survivors. They seem to know just how far to stay back as not to trigger the time release. Especially the killers with super acceleration they get just far enough to hit a survivor if they get anywhere near unhooking. It's really a bummer. Makes the game no fun at all to play. I see alot.of players just get hooked and give up. I hope they fix this soon.

Comments

  • @nakedcat said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3938724#Comment_3938724

    I see this quote about kill rates being impacted but I wonder if the devs have ever said “if the escape rates are (negatively) impacted we will make balance changes to bring them up accordingly”

    I believe they want the general kill rate at 60% but that would also mean they want survivors escaping generally 40% of the time too right? Or are they fine with the escape rate going down but not the kill rate? I’m asking someone more tuned in to this place and these devs than I am

    Or are they fine with the escape rate going down but not the kill rate? I’m asking someone more tuned in to this place and these devs than I am

    There was a stream maybe half a year ago (I might be way off on the time) where they talked about being okay with kill rates up to 65%.

    They have also said its not the only balance or gameplay element they look at.

    It certainly feels like there have been more posts assuring killers not to worry that if the numbers dip they'll rush to adjust than they do for survivors, but that might just be because we're in the midst of QoL changes directed more at survivors. There was a post/reddit discussion from a former dev where he talked about the idea that making sure killers stay in the game is more important than survivors (I'm generalizing a long post and there is reason behind it even if I think it has some flaws in the logic).

  • @NarkoTri1er said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/447204/killers-camping-hooks

    1. killer camps hooks often.
    2. survivors in their matches mostly swarm hook and give camping killer easy hits, downs and basically let the killer snowball for free.
    3. killer thinks camping is actually very good and efficient.
    4. killer keeps facing teams that don't punish them for camping.
    5. killer finally plays against team that knows how to play against a camper, gets humiliated, but doesn't care because 90% of their matches will still be people who refuse to learn counterplay to camping.
    6. repeat.

    Once average survivor learns how to counter camping, average killer will understand it isn't as efficient and effective to always do and camping significantly drops in usage.

    You are welcome.

    Whatever the "solution" is, you should notify the competitive scene because tournament killers proxy camp.

    —

    Also, survivors "swarm" the hook because solo survivors can't say, "I'm going for the hook!" and warn others off. Hell, you can take back the worthless "Anti-face-camp" and replace it with Kindred basekit and it would be more balanced.

  • Another issue people don't mention a lot is that removing camping and tunneling would require huge reworks to the base game. Make a bunch of perks mostly obsolete. And make survivors over tuned in some scenarios as years of crappy fixes and tuning to survivors and killers have been made with the idea that people camp and tunnel.. a few people have mentioned forced hook spread via donation or even pyramid heads cage system. But ultimately high tier killers won't suffer much from those changes but slow killers who already struggle with map presence will basically be cooked unless they are always just matched vs player that are less skilled then themselves.

    Really the level of changes that need to accompany big sweeping changes like "no camp no tunnel" would be curated map size gen placement and repair times on a killer by killer basis. Essentially the game takes the killer mobility into consideration when loading into a map and adjusts parameters as needed. Maybe for example trapper has slightly smaller maps with increased gen repair times to promote him setting his Field up

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3938687#Comment_3938687

    I never really understood the mindset to just camp a hook from the get go. It has its merits in some cases, but I do generally feel it's just really...really bad for killers to do it, not because it's wrong, but it's just killers are far better off actually pressuring the map. As for survivors complaining about camping, it's a weird situation where its genuinely great for survivors if they are camping, but it feels awful for the person being camped.

    I quite welcome to hear what BHVRs plans are for this. I dont really see camping as a problem since it helps survivors significantly, but I can't ignore that it's not fun for the campee.

    Well let's put it through the Killers Prospective.

    If i can't find survivors because there all hiding and I just Hook someone and they just got unhooked right when I walk away that encourages the Killer to go back to hook because he assumes he will find a survivor that way.

    Most of the time survivors like hiding and rushing Gens which forces certain play styles like Camping and Tunneling to be sure they Get at least a kill.

    Survivors sometimes like swarming the hook instead of Being On Gens and unhooking when it's 100% safe to do so. This behavior encourages Killers to camp because they now see how effective it is and they do it more often after that.

    but they main reason this stuff happens is because there is no proper Guide to point players into the right direction

  • @nakedcat said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3938724#Comment_3938724

    I see this quote about kill rates being impacted but I wonder if the devs have ever said “if the escape rates are (negatively) impacted we will make balance changes to bring them up accordingly”

    I believe they want the general kill rate at 60% but that would also mean they want survivors escaping generally 40% of the time too right? Or are they fine with the escape rate going down but not the kill rate? I’m asking someone more tuned in to this place and these devs than I am

    It's hard to say, because we're still kind of at the balancing point. The devs have spent 3 years since 6.1 deliberately increasing kill rates, and only just a few months ago started that they felt they'd hit their goal overall when they gave out stats.

    As a live service game, every chapter can potentially affect those kill rates, but I don't think they have too much of a problem if the kill rate is a bit over their expectations. We currently have several killers sitting over the 60% KR individually and they don't seem to be rushing to do anything there. The only killer who was nerfed even partially for that has been SM, and that was a multitude of issues and also not handled well by bhvr.

    I think if escape rates dropped too low they would do something. But I think they don't seem to mind if k kill rates are a bit high, and slow to act of escape rates drop too much.

    You can kind of see this with the qol phases this year. They announced many of the changes that would impact survivors first (go next, anti hiding, spawning together), then might bring the escape rates back up a bit with phase 2 (anti tunnel, anti camp, anti slug, the effectiveness and details of which are still unannounced).

  • The problem is, a couple years ago if a killer camped it was often a guaranteed loss for them - sure they’d get a kill, but that was often enough time to get all the other gens done while they were distracted.

    Since then; they gutted Dead Hard, added time on to complete gens, gave killers a reduced cooldown between hits and made maps smaller. Along with having some of the fastest killers that can return very quickly. Especially killers like Leatherface who can eat through the borrowed time endurance and get another healthy survivor ontop.

    You used to be able to go for a risky unhook that was being camped, avoid a hit and Dead Hard to a loop. Now the killer can hit you twice before you even have a chance to complete the unhook bar.

    DBD actually made camping a viable strategy without realising. Camping often secures a 2K minimum.

    It’s genuinely laughable that survivors had preventative measures put in (anti-camp enter doesn’t go up when other survivors are nearby) to stop it being abused, yet no considerations were made for killers that just stand out of the radius.

    I don’t know what the actual fix is, but I think people playing with a bit more of a sportsmanship attitude would go a long way. DBD must be able to implement a system that detects unique hooks or when killers tend to hook the same person simultaneously or often hit survivors who are in the Borrowed Time endurance period.

1 2 ›