I miss old movement so much.
I want to talk about some things that I think shouldn't have changed. Let's start with survivors model movement, the animations. Before the Silent Hill chapter your survivors model would react to wherever you moved your mouse, whether it was to the left, up, right, down, in any instance as long as you weren't locked in a different animation. Then the Silent Hill chapter happened. How do I remember this, well I still remember the disappointing discovery of how your characters head would no longer move up or down when you're crouching, moving while either crouched or stood up, or running. Now I know the animations have changed further since then, but all of what I'm saying still stands.
Yes, the survivors did get a better posture, they were no longer hunched, looked more natural. That part improved. However by not making the character react to up or down movement is the opposite of improving, rather it's just lowering the interactivity of the model. It wouldn't react to certain movements anymore. To this day they haven't "fixed" it, and to this day, it bothers me. I had so many funny or cute moments, still saved up on my PS4, where this kind of movement was utilized.
Another thing that was changed (afterwards, if I recall correctly), was survivor movement. I don't remember when exactly it was done, but they made the maximum speed of how fast a survivor can turn, slower. I can see what their motivation with this was, it was to help (no offense), bad players fare better, since they probably had issues with 360s. But actually by making the movement more sluggy they affected the skill ceiling of the entire game. Even back before the movement was nerfed, good players barely ever got 360'd. But now it became even more rare to succeed at one, and hitting a survivor as a killer became easier. A little less freedom, a little less skill expression, just to help players that perform worse.
Speaking of a little less skill expression, it's time to move on to the last thing I wanted to talk about. Flashlight saves. Sigh. You know, if you make things quite easily achievable by even the newest of players, you make the game a little less to look up to everytime, by taking that tiny margin of possible skill improvement needed to perform something, away. Flashlight saves used to take skill, you had to time them correctly in a rather short and an accurate window, you'd have to blind the killer late enough so they wouldn't still be in the pickup animation, but early enough so they couldn't look away in time. Now, even if you blind some time before the animation ends, you get the save. This means that even for an average player it is relatively easy to time it correctly. It also won't cause a sense of accomplishment as big for succeeding.
Old DBD was without a doubt broken. There was OP things on both sides, survivors were far stronger back then. Tiles were far better, and spawned more frequently. But some things would just have been better off left alone in my opinion. I still have fun by playing the game. But a game doesn't go by where I don't miss how these things were before they were changed. Especially the nodding. God, how I miss it.
*Alright looks like when Silent Hill came out, you could still nod somewhat properly, at least when crouched, not sure about running when being injured. So that part was misinformation, the changes happened after that at some point.
Comments
No, because the game doesn't do that. First, you're swinging at the object on your right clearly, then you move, you're clearly too far away, the lunge animation plays, but you're standing still so you're not getting closer and therefore not getting the hit. Then you move closer, and the hit procs because you're close enough. There's nothing wrong happening in the video. I genuinely don't understand what you're trying to show me. Also I'm still looking forward to that example of a 360 stopping your lunge from happening.
Are you referring to the mild camera movement that happens when you're close to a survivor and swinging? Because that is called aim assist. It obviously has to activate BEFORE you get an actual hit. If you're not close enough you just won't get a hit.
The lunge animation wasn’t playing. The game was forbidding lunges from occurring, which is why the video showed short m1 attacks even though the mouse overlay showed the M1 button being held down.
And BHVR said there isn’t supposed to be aim assist in the game, and it’s supposed to be aim dressing. But it’s clearly functioning as an aim assist because it’s affecting attacks before hit validation occurs.
Last time I checked, just holding the lunge button never was enough to make you go forward, you always had to move your character forward yourself. The long lunge animation is literally playing in the video. The short lunge duration looks different, when you tap the lunge button, that's a short lunge. I don't see the point of any of this. And none of this could cause the killer to miss unless the player is doing something wrong.
Are you referring to the start, where you're smacking the object on your right, and claiming it's the game stopping your lunge because of aim dressing/assist?
Yes. Lunges don’t have environmental object collision, so normally when you lunge at an object, you get the full lunge. The reason why those attacks were quickly hitting the environment is because the game forced the lunges to turn into a short m1 attacks.
Aim dressing is literally forbidding lunges due to proximity checks that are completely separate from hit validation checks. That is what is happening in the video.
The reason you were getting short m1 attacks was because you were right next to the object, the same thing happens with survivors, and you get the hit everytime. Assuming you're right next to a survivor. You don't need to lunge if you're right next to what you're going to hit.