Some ideas to improve 2v8 for the next time

Please consider these ideas and suggestions for several different ways to improve the 2v8 mode.

I really enjoyed 2v8, but it has some obvious and some not so obvious problems. Room for improvement. Good job on the first run!

First, an idea to change the win condition in order to fix the tunneling issue and the low population of survivors. Make 20 hooks end the match, just like survivors escaping, also add a time limit of 20 minutes or something as a failsafe to say neither side won. The purpose of this change would be to eliminate death of survivors. Survivors are never killed and never leave the match unless survivor side wins by powering gens or the random hatch escape. On third hook they would be caged like second hook. Time running out without an uncaging in any stage would add another cage to the 20 needed for killers to win. This would eliminate the biggest problem with 2v8, which is also the biggest problem in the main game as well... tunneling. The number 20 was chosen because 24 hooks would be 8 kills, but killers are considered to win when they have 3/4 kills (6/8). The number isn't that important, though, because the purpose centers around allowing the survivors to remain in the match.

Another idea that could end tunneling as an alternative or in combination with the first is using the event map that we had in one of the fall events last year, where you go to another realm. In this case, the caged survivors would go to this realm. Killers would never be able to go to this realm. When a rescuer goes to that realm and uncages them, then both the rescuer and the caged survivor would leave the realm to the main map immediately, spawning outside of the killers' terror radiuses. This would eliminate proxy camping, and make tunneling more difficult.

Next suggestion, in this mode I really miss building my characters the way I want to play. I hope the premade perk builds were just a first time thing, and that we will eventually be able to use our perks in these matches. For instance, I play Wraith quite often when I play killer, but for me he was the worst killer in this line up because BHVR chose our build.

I also want to see all of the killers make their way into this mode, and the ability for two of the same killer to be chosen. This isn't a competitive mode, it is party mode. Remember that making the game fun is the point of it being a game. It doesn't have to make sense, all it has to do is be fun. BHVR did a great job so far, I hope they can improve it even more!

The biggest issue was that the killer queue times were horrendous (again, due to the survivors not showing up to play this mode). I had to wait 30+ minutes at times. You need to make survivor more fun. By making survivors never actually get killed like my suggestion above, I think it would appeal more. The DCs were happening around one or two every other match. That brought to light a new problem. BHVR never made the bots know how to deal with two killers. BHVR, please give them the knowledge they need to face 2v8 before the next run. If you did this, as a last resort to fix the low survivor population you could run one or two bots to help populate every single match... but that's a last resort idea. I don't want to play killer against only bots so hopefully you try my first idea (no survivor death) and it works well.

Finally, I want to chime in on how often I want this mode to show up. A lot of threads and comments are out there asking for permanent 2v8, or to extend it. Please don't. I don't want this first try anymore, I want to play the next attempt when I expect BHVR will do an even better job and we should have access to more choices.

That said, I suggest having these modifier modes rotate in and out for a three day time period once every month at rank reset or a similar schedule like the first or last weekend every month. Shut off the main ranked game and make the modified modes the only way to play for three days. This would populate the special modified mode, and also keep things interesting so we aren't seeing constant event after event in DbD.

TLDR - My suggestions to improve 2v8: Remove survivor death and give killers a hook count win condition. Let us use our perks, items, and add-ons. Make all killers playable with no restrictions (2 of the same killer). Fix bots for 2v8. Fix tunneling in 2v8 by removing death and adding a hook win condition or using the other realm for cages. Please don't make this mode permanent and instead do something for all modifiers rotating about one weekend each month.

Comments