Survivor Item: The Map (Explanation and Changes)

Notice: TL;DR is located at the bottom of the thread in case you have a short attention span! :)

The Power: Aura Reading

Have you ever wanted to see every totem, generator, hook, exit gate, and the hatch with a click of a button? Can't find that pesky Ruin placement? Can't find the hatch? If so then this is your item as it can make you have all the information!
"The Power of Information!"
-@Vietfox

Survivor Item: The Map (Explained)

Whenever you walk within a certain proximity of something (Hook, totem, generator, and etc.), you'll receive 150 BP for "Map Scout" and that something will be marked. Now, whenever you use your map, everything that been marked by your map will have their auras revealed to you. The game refers to this as tracking since whenever something is marked, you can track where it's at anytime.

Flaws: The Map

The map has several flaws with the first one being it's hard to understand how it's used. The description does not provide enough explanation as to how this item works making it seem like it's just another useless item.

Next we have limitations in what the map can track without add-ons. You cannot track totems, exit gates, and the hatch without an add-on so this makes the item add-on dependent.

Finally, its range is not the best overall. You need to be very close in proximity to something for it to be tracked so again, you'll need add-ons to increase this. However, it's very worthwhile when you can track something that you can't see just to find it later with your map (example: Totems).

Changes: The Map

The duration should be increased to 30 seconds so it can be used frequently. Next, give it the ability to track anything without an add-on but the tracking range will be limited to 8 meters. Of course add-ons can increase this for everything just like the current ones like the stamps. Finally, allow the map to track pallets, chests, and vaults since it's also considered as a "thing".

TL;DR:

The map is very underrated and fog travelers don't understand how it works. If you know how it works, it's basically one of the strongest item in the game.
-I also talked about Buffs to this items.

Comments

  • Make it so the map reveals the auras to all survivors by default.

    Boom, useful item.
  • Yeah it having a really fast burn rate coupled with the 8m range really hurts it, this is why I don't use Maps. But the awesome thing about it that I like is the 150 BP, add this to Detective's Hunch and doing Gens just slaps you in the face with that juicy blood.

    I would like to use them more so this would be a great change, right now I just use Med-Kits and Tool boxes because I can't use Flashlights properly and don't live long enough for the key to be useful or I'm the last one alive, or go through the Exit. But the Map is just hard to use because of the burn rate.

  • Nearly as useless as the broken key. I use map items (aka burritos) only as a cosmetic touch lol
    So any change is welcome 
  • Nearly as useless as the broken key. I use map items (aka burritos) only as a cosmetic touch lol
    So any change is welcome 
    The map is very good in my opinion. Whenever totem placements are extremely good (no meme intended), maps will be indirectly buffed since they can pinpoint totems.
  • Cetren said:
    Make it so the map reveals the auras to all survivors by default.

    Boom, useful item.
    The key already does that with a add-on lol.
  • I love your ideas. I love the concept of the map but in its current state it's only good for hatch hunting and racking up BP, and those require add ons. It's a real shame the devs haven't touched the maps or broken key because if they were decent items then the medkit and toolbox use would drop, thus slowing down games.
  • Nickenzie said:
    Cetren said:
    Make it so the map reveals the auras to all survivors by default.

    Boom, useful item.
    The key already does that with a add-on lol.
    I think they should given survivor and killer tracking add ons to the map and make all keys unlock the hatch, but each with a different amount of time. The keys could also be used on chests to grant you a rare or ultra rare item with add ons, depending on key rarity and add ons. And maybe one of them could be used on the exit gate to open it a bit faster.