My Experience With Red-Green Colorblindness And How It Has Affected My Experience...
First off, Id like to say that this goes a bit beyond just the game itself but also talks about the parts of the community and how polarizing it has felt to engage in discussions involving colorblindness.
MY CONDITION.
To go ahead and explain my condition to those who do not know, Ive talked about it a bit before, I have Red-Green Colorblindness, specifically Deuteranopia, which has affected my life in many aspects. I can still the colors Red and Green on their own, but when put together, the color blend and muddy together to the point to where I cannot actively distinguish either color from one another.
As you can imagine, in Dead by Daylight, this has affected my ability to play significantly. Scratches, Auras, and Red-Stain are all Red, and since a majority of nature and foliage is Green it means that they can easily become obstructed and hard for me to see.
THE COMMUNITY AND ITS IMPACT…
Over the years I have made MANY suggestions towards BHVR to give us the option to choose the colors of these, since I would choose Purple/Blue since it would be easier for me to see. But it seems like half the time this gets mostly ignored and pushed in the gutter since people care more about balance changes and other things, which I understand… but at the same time it has felt really awful to basically be pushed aside and ignored.
Im glad people are talking about it now. Otz made a video that raise awareness to the whole thing, which is nice since I dont feel ignored, but at the same time, Im worried this will be the "issue of the week" situation where people just move onto the next big thing to talk about when I have been making suggestions and pushing for BHVR to add better accessibility options for years while largely being ignored by everyone in the process.
…AND WHY IT FEELS POLARIZING FOR ME.
None of this is to try and sound ungrateful, but for years it has really been awful to deal with.
Anytime I make a thread about my Red-Green Colorblindness, Im met with "try using the Colorblind Options in the Accessibility Tab of the Settings", as if I was not already using it. And I understand that many people are trying to help but after the 50th+ time, you can see where it starts to become frustrating…
Furthermore, many threads talk about using Filters, I use Filters to help since the Colorblind Options dont help me that much, and at times I am demonized for using them by a small part of the community. Obviously it is not representative of the whole community, but it does not feel good to effectively be told "you have this issue, we have a solution, but you cannot use it."
Going through this for years, only for a switch to be flicked, and suddenly people care, as glad as I am, it's also polarizing…
To make it clear, only a small part of the community has done this, and is not representative of the community as a whole, but it just feels really weird to be met with such positivity and negativity at the same time, it's overwhelming, to me at least.
Comments
It can be pretty annoying dealing with the dismissive "just use filters" responses, but a lot of people simply aren't very well educated about colorblindness (I still get people who ask if I only have monochromatic vision.) I usually chalk it up to simply not understanding how much impact is still there until they get into the "but people will use it for an advantage" camp. At that point they're either a bad actor or aggressively ignorant.