Idea for balancing out perk loadouts

Something I have been thinking about and decided to go online with, would be the idea of reworking the perks to have more of a balanced feel. I haven't played survivor as long as I have played killer, but in my recent findings trying to do daily rituals for survivors, some of them feel very hard to complete due to how it feels like I cannot get any sort of advantage on a killer. I lack a lot of prestige like other players who have been playing longer than me, but I can definitely say it feels like no matter what, you're reliant of getting many different perks from many different characters and it feels like its just a flip of the coin to see if you wanted to even attempt to complete a characters adept achievement or even just go through a match without feeling like it's downhill from the get go.

What I had in mind for a reworking of how perks would work is maybe start to categorize them. A general idea I had for one of them was just a 2 tier system, which we could refer to as Major and Minor perks. Leave their existing skills on there, but both Killers and Survivors should be allowed 2 Major perks and 2 minor perks. Or if you wanted to really make the perks that stand so well on their own, it could be 1:3 of Major to Minor perks. It would allow players to still have some really annoying combos, but would limit how much they can abuse a certain build. Giving you a more "variety" feeling when you can have players have to balance out what kind of objective they have for the next match they play.


The only other idea I had in mind for a category based would be to have specific categories like healing/generator/hex/etc. Where you allow a more specific system, especially if you wanted to work into a more agressive ranked system with people talking about doing "ban picks" for killers/survivors, and then maybe limit those perks to having those categories and then you can only pick 1 perk from each category. Feels a little more strict especially if you wanted to have a ban mode where then people just start banning different categories and then leaving the "bad ones" left to choose from. Not too fond of this idea, but wanted to throw it out there.


Maybe this would be something to think about, but my 2 cents feels more toward the Major/Minor perks if that were the case to be tested. Hope this helps inspire any ideas!

Comments

  • Killing perk synergy is a poor way to go about balance. All these ideas do is make it so there is one best perk in each category with a few edge cases.


    More importantly: balance serves fun. Give players fun and strong tools to play with and work from there.