Possible solution to bad matchmaking?

I think we all know that the MMR system doesn’t quite work as intended, but not for the reason that most might think. I think the system actually works quite fine, but the main issue comes down to dodging lobbies. When this happens, the game foregoes proper matchmaking and instead backfills, prioritizing speed over proper “fair” matchmaking.

This leads to an imbalance in the matchmaking system and usually a stomp on one side or the other.

I think the only solution to this is to either add a penalty for dodging (possibly removing the option all together) or to reprioritize matchmaking instead of speed when a dodge occurs.

What are thoughts on this proposed change? Is lobby dodging a necessary evil? Would you be willing to wait another minute or two for fairer matches?

Comments

  • If possible, I think it should recommence matchmaking when the role in need dodges a lobby.

    So if the +100% bonus is on Killer meaning Killers get nigh-instant queues, then a Killer dodging a lobby causes the system to search for another killer in the same MMR bracket. And vice versa.

    The role in need is more likely to be the one dodging lobbies (because their queues are virtually instant) and this shouldn't drastically increase lobby wait times.