Did we give certain perks in this game a reason for them to become OP/Busted
Something most of us don’t realize or think of is that did we give perks like STBFL and Distortion a reason for them to become beyond powerful to the point everyone wants them nerfed
so to start this off simply Distortion a few years back when it first came out during the legion dlc it was instantly considered a trash perk and was pretty much situational due to how aura reading was rare back then before to rise of perks like lethal, NWTH etc
and regarding STBFL did we also give this perk a reason for it to suddenly become way more powerful than it used to be (endurance meta) because awhile back I found an old video on my devices hardware that dates back to 2020/2021 and I noticed that STBFL used to originally take a decent amount of time to have atleast 5 stacks but when I look at some clips from recent games on my device I would notice that most of my killer games the perk would already have 3-5 stacks super early before gens pop and some of those chases often have survivors bringing styptic or using a syringe mid chase (bonus points if you attack too soon to a BU+FTP play and not hit the obsession)
TL:DR
those 2 perks were fine from the very beginning I think the real problem with them is that we made them strong by introducing an endurance meta which made STBFL way more powerful than usual and the constant aura reading that gave distortion a reason to rise in pickrates in general (and distortions other problem is selfish teammates but I personally doubt that nerfing or deleting distortion is gonna get rid of that playstyle I’ve had selfish teammates who don’t even bring this and were somehow worse)
also plz no arguments in the reply section let’s try to discuss this normally and think about it simply
Comments
I wouldn't consider STBFL 'beyond powerful' outside very specific situations. It's helpful when you have stacks, sure, but I don't see it as broken. I'd argue the only thing needed is for it to not apply a stack if you put a survivor into deep wounds to discourage hitting off hook for stacks.
Distortion is also a confusing one for me. Sure against a high TR killer you're guaranteed stacks but on stealth killers you run out of them very frequently, plus you don't get value if the killer decides to run non-aura reading perks/addons.
Honestly I still don’t know how to feel about STBFL I still think it’s fine the way it is like yeah I’m not a fan either of the hit off hook tunneling thing but I’m sure it will be a less problem when the decisive strike plans make it’s way to the game
and I agree with your point regarding distortion I think the perk is fine and the real problem with it is the whole “anti-teammate” survivor behavior that many soloq survivors rely on but I doubt nerfing distortion is gonna remove that playstyle but on the positive note matches won’t have to last that long with one survivor hiding with distortion while his teammates die
I don't think people want STBFL nerfed. At least I haven't seen any complaints about this perk.
And Distortion is fine, people are just upset because it pairs extremely well with the recent rise in stealth. But the community isn't to blame for that, not really.
Map reworks, bad changes made to healing and to once good perks such as Hex: Ruin have forced a playstyle where you do the gens and hide, no secondary objective in sight. This situation can be changed, obviously, but it requires reversions and those are rare around here, sadly.
Distortion got buffed to be infinite, that's when it became a problem. Before that it didn't have enough tokens (it was capped at 4 with no recharge) but now it gets too many. There's nothing wrong with it having a recharge mechanic, the problem with it is that it's too easy to recharge unless you're against a stealth killer. I think it needs a different recharging system that makes it a little harder to replenish while also keeping it more consistent across different killers.
STBFL has been really strong for a long time and has always been strong in camping scenarios and for certain killers who can save stacks with their M2, but it got an indirect buff in 6.1.0 when the default basic attack cooldown was reduced (and survivors’ speed boost when being hit was reduced which also made STBFL stronger). Once that happened, that kind of pushed it over the top imo.
yeah I’m not a fan of the current dbd state but I do somewhat have high hopes the devs would do some proper changes to make the game enjoyable again for both sides
and I would love to see some nerfs get reverted as well
especially ruin cause I kinda miss that perk nowadays with how rare it is to see it in a match
I would be fine if distortion gets a better alternative recharging way rather than randomly hiding in the killers terror radiusAnd regaining your tokens which punishes killers like wesker who has a huge terror radius
then technically STBFL just needs certain adjustments rather than a nerf
I think that people are arguing about two good but fair perks STBFL and Distortion as if they are problematic actually speaks to how relatively balanced the meta perk landscape has become. MFT had been the only perk I'd see that felt like a problem recently, which is a far cry from a few years ago.
Of course like a full third of all perks are utterly unusable garbage, but there really aren't a top tier of absolutely busted OP perks like there was for my first couple of years in DBD.
If we are at the point where these two perks are what folks are complaining about, I think it's safe to say the game is quite balanced.
Both perks seem fine to me. They're hardly OP or problematic. Half the time my distortion is a wasted perk slot, and stbfl is fine. It doesn't break the game.