Trapper: Have traps spawn open.

I don't feel like this gets talked about enough as everyone keeps looking at stuff like Trappers Bag and such.

Honestly I feel like this is all Trapper would need to make him better.

The big problem I think Trapper has is his lack of early game. None of his traps are worth a damn unless opened and forcing him around to pick up or set each and every one ruins his early game and almost always costs you a gen or two. He has no early pressure to keep gens safe as you either have to chase survivors or place traps, with each option hindering the other. This change would give him some leeway with traps, giving him the option to move them around and chase without it hindering him too much.

There are a couple of big complaints against this and I want to address.

New players won't be able to remember where good traps are located or learn good trap placement. I think this is such a minor issue. Like any killer, people will learn maps, placements and loops and such as they play, I am not expecting someone off the bat to remember where shack is, it is something that will be learnt as they play and the longer they play, they will probably get better.

Trap placement is horrible so more experienced players will have no issue dodging them. Sure, that is a valid point, but that misses the main point. The main point is to give Trapper some early pressure. Having open traps in random places would put some pressure, even if it isn't a lot, on survivors early, as they now know traps do spawn open and no one knows where they are. Will more experienced players be able to dodge them, yes, but they can already dodge well placed ones as well so I don't see the issue there. Even teams, calling out trap locations is an issue, but teams are an issue for every killer so again, I don't see the issue with him specifically.

Trap placement can always be improved, it already has with this recent change, but I do think it could be better, and I think some real effort should be put into learning good spots to improve that random spawn placement. I mean there are so many other things, like the maps working against him with being so bright, a big lack of grass, low graphic settings and so on, but I feel like this minor change could really help him out.

What do you think?

Comments

  • Hmmm, what it might do, before survivors have realised it is a Trapper at least (assuming the loading screen doesn't rat him out), is catch a more experienced survivor off guard in certain maps. So it might give Trapper that... other than that though, it doesn't really give him much early pressur vs. Competant survivors.

    What would be more noticable is the more pronounced effect on low level players. One problem with Trapper is he is a bit of newbie crusher. New players already struggle with Trapper quite a bit, because new players still percieve Trapper himself as a big threat, and are not paying attention to the ground.

    My concern would be this change wouldn't really hit experienced survivors much, which is where he needs help, but would absolutely hit low levels players hard... where he already does really well.