Rework Spirit to be More Accessible for Both Playing As and Playing Against the Spirit

Spirit is the only killer in the game that requires you to be able to hear to play as and against. Since the requirement to play is hearing people who don't have good hearing or good headsets can't play the killer as efficiently or effectively. Same with counterplay, if you don't have good hearing or a good headset playing against the spirit is a struggle.

This makes the killer frustrating for people who want to play her because they like the power, but can't because they don't have the necessities (hearing) to play this character.

I don't think it's fair that not everyone is capable of countering her or using her power because of hearing issues. Players shouldn't have to use an add-on like Cherry Blossom to use her power to full effect.

My suggestion would be to make her power somehow visual-based for both sides so that they can find survivors or see what the killer is up to.

Am I saying that the spirit should get a free speed boost and see survivors fully? No, I'm suggesting that there would be a visual indicator of where the killers and survivors are heading every few moments or some way to visually track both sides.


Please feel welcome to suggest ways to make her power more accessible for everyone, so everyone can have fun playing as or playing against The Spirit.

Comments

  • I disagree with this. Hearing is how console players operate since we have poor camera controls and low frame rates. For us, Nurse Blight and Trickster are all unplayable because of lack of fine camera control. Spirit plays into the strengths that console players have needed to build. Not every character needs to be playable by everyone. I think it might be different if this were a licensed character. Anyone who pays extra for a character should be able to have a chance to use them.

  • While I do support accommodating disabilities as much as possible, the whole point of Spirit is she can't see survivors and vice versa while she is phasing, so you have to rely on your other senses. You're literally picking a character who is designed around sacrificing vision for a strong power which you supplement with game audio...

    To give a comparison, I have early onset of arthritis in my right wrist/thumb that stops me playing with a mouse, so I am now on console. Even on console analogue sticks, it's way better, but I struggle with killers which require precise aiming like Deathslinger. It can even physically hurt me to try to and turn quickly to land a shot... so I might be tempted to say "for people like me with joint pain in my hands, Deathslinger is really hard to use... can we have an aim assist so I don't have to move so precisely with my thumb?". Seems reasonable, but being accurate with your shots on Slinger is entirely the point... so I don't get to have help just for my problems because that makes the character much less engaging to play and would be unfair to everyone else.

    Adding more visual components to Spirit would be a complete removal of what makes the character unique, and robs the people who have learned to use her audio gameplay well from their hard earned skill.

    While that sucks for people with hearing difficulties, the obvious issue here is people with hearing difficulties like this are inherently at a disadvantage across the entire roster... Listening for footsteps is important when blinded as killer, listening for whimpers when searching for injured survivors hiding in lockers or bushes, listening to hear how much progress a gen without having to physically look at it, the several characters that have lullabies and audio cues like Freddy, Huntress and Myers... sound plays a big part of this game at many points of play...

    If we consider removing all value of sound for everyone as a source of balance so that those unfortunate enough to having hearing difficulties are on the same playing field, you might as well just mute all game audio...

    So my point is, I'm sympathetic... but it's impractical.