Honest question, why do sweat to win?

Excluding archives why do you feel the need to sweat. I'm not throwing shade or trying to start an argument but I had this convo recently with a killer and it got me curious.

For context: The killer was (clearly) new to playing Nemesis, didn't really have a grasp of the tentacle yet and spent most of the game missing every single one and couldn't really keep up with us survivors. We weren't running meta builds either and were all solo everyone was kinda just doing dumb stuff and the killer still struggled. After awhile he got 1 person and tried to camp them (we still had 2 gens left to do) and this was his first hook. Game went on for awhile due to us trying to prevent that person from being tunneled. Lot of slugging and trying to get 1 person out and eventually they got them and nearly had all 4 of us for trying to protect (but I ran all 4 boons so we just picked ourselves up and reset) end game chat was me wondering why they cared so much about the kill when their reward would be better players and they clearly can't handle casual ones.


So I got curious and came here to pick peoples brain on why exactly they sweat. I don't mean "Oh I wanted to secure the kill because I needed someone out" or "running meta perks to get help vs nurse/blight"

I'm talking about people whose intention is to use every single advantage (no matter how tiny) to win the game. Nurse/Blights with the best addons and a map offering who play like their life is on the line or SWFs who bring map offerings and the best items and meta perks while they have comms to completely dominate the killer without them getting so much as 1 hook.


Vs a casual opponent typically nobody has fun because you dominate so hard they don't get to do anything and nobody really gets to play and vs someone who is also sweating nobody has fun because of just how evil you have to play to win.

Comments

  • I usually don't. As survivor and as killer I play pretty chill.

    But if I play killer and the survivors are playing "efficiently", I change gears because I don't want to be the only one taking it easy.

  • @SimpleTora said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3538998#Comment_3538998

    I typically refer to sweating as people who do unnecessary things for the sake of absolute victory. If you kill 2 people there's no reason to slug the 3rd for ages for the sake of the 4k you've already won and unless there's an archive demanding it you have no reason to do that for the 4th kill it grants you nothing of importance other than a boost to ego.

    I always say this when it comes to DBD but there is no screen in this game that says VICTORY or DEFEAT. If the killer technically "wins" by getting a 3k but has less BP than the 4th survivor who maybe got out due to hatch or whatever circumstance did you really win? The game never told you that you won and your "score"(BP) is lower than the survivors.

    Victory is self imposed in this game and some people will play in a way they don't even find fun that will ruin the game for everyone else as well all for the sake of victory. I consider that sweating.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3539003#Comment_3539003

    Can't say I relate. I've never really been so into a game that I play only that game for months at a time. I play a game for a few hours and if/when I get tired of it I move on to the next and if i'm not interested I stop playing for weeks then come back and repeat. I find DBD relatively challenging for me since I don't spend enough time getting so good that it becomes too easy still find moderate enjoyment out of the game since it's not a walk in the park but also not so difficult that it's impossible

    You must be psychic yeah? Or do you only speak for yourself when you say "there's no reason"?

    To answer your question, I don't sweat. I'm playing a game that I'm good at. Nothing more, nothing less.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3541098#Comment_3541098

    It just seemed you were going into "Back in my day" territory with that comment. That's why I pointed that out.

    I'm not saying this as a "young" person either. While I'm sure I'm not the oldest around here I have no doubt I'm in the "elder" category.

    I have went to that just a little bit, because merely mentioning it would be very confusing; It is necessary to provide a bit of context for people to understand what I mean to say.

1 2 ›