Safe Unhooks As They Exist Encourage Trolling
There's a fairly common issue in solo queue where someone gets hooked, and a teammate quickly unhooks them with the killer still being nearby. The Killer, unless they take pity on the unhookee for some reason or are rigorously following the survivor rulebook, typically claims the free win that has been handed to them by quickly tunneling out the newly-freed survivor.
Some people have proposed gameplay solutions to this, like allowing players to deny others from unhooking them, but I believe behavior has ruled that example out in particular. I don't have any other ideas.
So instead, I think the Safe Unhook mechanic should be changed. Safe unhooks activate when a survivor hasn't gone down within 10 seconds (for pips) and 15 seconds (for score events.) That was probably pretty fine pre-basekit BT, but now you have to either really not be trying or be very unlucky to not survive 15 seconds.
Instead, I think a start would be for it to trigger either when the survivor hasn't been in chase for 10 seconds, or hasn't gone down within 30 seconds, whichever comes first. Correspondingly, you currently lose -30 pip points if the survivor goes down within 10 seconds. I would leave that, but add a lesser -10 event for the criteria I mentioned, because obviously you aren't always certain where the killer is.
Note: I don't think depipping should exist, don't complain to me about that. But that doesn't mean you should +2 or +1 every game either.
These changes are fairly minor, but I think it would be good if at the very least the game didn't outright encourage unhook farming.
Comments
I wouldn’t say that’s trolling it’s more like dumb decision making