A Brief New Proposal to a new MMR System

Proposal for a new MMR formula for Dead by Daylight

Hello to whoever takes the time to read this. Let’s start with an introduction of myself and then move onto how I think Dead By Daylight could have a better MMR/SBMM system implemented.

My name is Jon (AKA Seal or Seal_Massacre on twitch) and I am a 6k+ hour killer main on Dead By Daylight. Roughly 70% of that playtime is on the killer side and around 30% of that is on the survivor side. I have done pretty much every build you can think of for both sides. I have been playing MMR based games for nearly 15 years. Games such as Smite, Gears of War, Call of Duty, World of Warcraft just to name a few. With that being said I have and currently do play every single killer in the game including the newest release The Singularity as I am writing this. I also do monthly challenges where I take a killer each month individually from Ash 4 to Iridescent 1 going in order of release. As I do those I record all of my kills. I consider a fair win condition to be a 3k+ with a minimum of 9 individual hooks on the killer side of things. As survivor win rates go I consider at least 3 survivors escaping regardless of hook stages. 2k’s being a draw for both sides if the killer has hooked at least everyone once. Let’s move on to the more in depth calculations of my thought process and possible better ways to tweak this system we currently have in the game.

Now all I would like to say is that most if not all of the community agrees that if a killer gets a ton of actual hooks instead of forcing stages by camping and also ends chases quickly makes them a better killer. I get that camping and tunneling is a strategy but it’s the easy way out if done properly. With that being said it also makes the game stale for both sides. Survivor on the other hand I want to talk about chase time and altruistic plays such as pallet saves, flashlight saves etc. As a killer main I will actually compliment survivors if they run me for a longer chase than I want. Now the people that hide all match long and still escape but didn’t go for any chase time to prevent their teammates from dying early. Did they actually do anything skillful? I feel like everyone could just hide all match and escape if done correctly. Also makes it frustrating for both sides. The main take here is that Killers should be rewarded for actual hook actions, ending chases fast and spreading pressure as efficiently as possible. Survivors should be rewarded for having long chases and being altruistic and interacting with the killer. This whole MMR system being solely based off of kills and escapes is not good for the game.

             

Everything we need for this formula is already being recorded in game. The MMR should be visible to everyone when you’re in a lobby and at the end of the match near the scoreboard somewhere. All survivors should have the same MMR meaning no matter which survivor you play you will have the same MMR regardless. Since Killers have different powers and are played differently for the most part they should have their own MMR rating and not being influenced by other killers in the game. I do understand that if this gets taken seriously and someday goes into effect that there will be some matchmaking issues but it will be resolved by playing the game. What I mean by that is, let’s say a new killer comes out and it starts off at the base starting MMR which is 1000 for the sake of this discussion. Then Veteran’s such as myself won’t get thrown into a lobby full of extremely good survivors while I’m trying to learn a killer. I know that bot matches exist now but it’s a much better experience to play against real people to learn because bots play way different than actual people.

Let’s talk about the MMR brackets now which I think should have a tiny range adjustments. This formula I am proposing to BHVR is going to need a complete reset of all players. So please bare with me and keep this in mind. Only time will make this work way better than the system we have now. I understand that once this goes into effect there will be bumps early on but it will fix itself over time.

Bracket 1 : Ash: 0-650 MMR – Everyone would start here once this would go into effect. Starting at 0 and working upwards. Brand new players will stay here until they get a hole od the game and move into the Bronze bracket,

Bracket 2 : Bronze: 651-1000 This is for the fairly new players that kind of know how the game works for both sides but still need improvement or the people that play the game very casually.

Bracket 3 : Silver 1001-1600 This bracket is for the more experienced player that have some time in game. They aren’t super efficient but they know what to do to get the job done. A good chunk of the player base would be in this bracket or the next bracket.

Bracket 4 : Gold 1600–2200 This would be for the players that are experienced enough to be considered average and where most of the player base would sit around.

Bracket 5 : Iridescent 2201-2800 This bracket is for the really good players that have a ton of knowledge of the game for both sides. I would call this bracket the comfort zone where you don’t feel like you’re going to win or lose every match but there would be a good balance of really good players.

Bracket 6 : Grandmaster Iridescent 2800-3000 These are the absolute best players in DBD for both sides. Killers that are extremely efficient at getting a lot of hooks every game and ending chases fast. While Survivors being the ones that can have a long chase almost every time the occasion rises up. This will be where all the competitive players will be once and if this system becomes a reality.

So finally getting into the deeper math part of this formula. These will both be brief explanation of how I think and many others think it should work. Starting with Survivors. I think this should be split up into 3 categories. Altruism, Chase, and finally Objectives.

Altruism points would be revolved around taking protection hits, unhooks, healing others, sabotaging hooks, flashlight saves, pallet saves, and locker saves. The more you interact with the killer the higher this rewards. Causing Distractions and wasting the killer’s time in the best way to get the final objective done which is getting those generators done and escaping.

             Chase points would be how long you can last in a chase. Now some may say just pre-drop pallets to make this easier to get. Yes so here’s the solution. Chase time is the BEST thing a survivor can do to show personal skill. So stunning the killer with a pallet will reward you more points as it already does in game in this category. The longer the chase the more points you get in this category. Every 10 seconds of chase would give a certain amount of points in this category. We will need a little bit of an adjustment to when the chase ends in game because most of the time if the killer breaks a pallet the chase ends. On a side note generator progress that is being done during chase will be implemented into the objective category for yourself.


             Objective categories will be the smallest factor in this equation but still punishable if you don’t do anything objective wise. I think the first two brackets are more important than this one. Anyone can sit on a generator and hit skill checks. But this needs to be done for the final objective. So in order for this to change the outcome of this not reducing the MMR granted in this category a survivor must do at least 1 generator and 1 totem. Gens have to be completed and totems can be done but it’s optional for the most part but Hex perks do exist. Reminder this will be the least focused on category but still looked at like a bonus category.


             Onto the killer side of things. Most people will say that good killers will get 8+ hooks a game and end chases quickly. I want to split this up into 4 categories instead of the 3 for survivor. The reason for 4 is that there’s way more to do as a killer than a survivor has to do. Categories being Chase, Sacrifice, Gatekeeper (Gen defense), and Brutality (keeping health states and getting a lot of hits)


             First up is Chase. The faster you end a chase is going to make your games go smoother. You’ll lose most of your games if you chase too long and a good killer knows that. So what you want to calculate here is how fast you can end chases. Now I know there are instant down killers such as Bubba, Billy, Ghost Face, Myers and a few others with the right addons. So once a chase starts the points will start at a maximum for any given chase. For example, not real numbers…Let’s say once a chase starts you start with a total of 20 points every 15 seconds you’re in a chase you lose 1 point. If it’s an instant down you double the points lost because you take two health states if they are healthy. But let’s say you use your chainsaw to get the down on the injured survivor. You’d still get the normal points deducted if any. This would be the second most important ingredient to this formula.


             Next up Sacrifice. The most important one. 12 hooks (3 individual hooks on each survivor) is a perfect game. Accomplishing this is would make you get the most amount of points in this category. Let’s say you get 2 points per individual hook. Which would make for a total of 24 points in this category. In order for you to get points for a hook stage due to another survivor not saving them would only require you to be more than 24m away from the hook when they go to 2nd chase or death. This would prevent camping and securing stages because I know that’s an issue currently. Everyone does. If you hook every survivor at least once you’d get another 2 points if you hook everyone at least twice that’s additional 2 points. That would help with the tunneling issue if you wanted to increase your MMR to the max. This would encourage to go after everybody in the trial. It wouldn’t solve camping and tunneling 100% but I think having the mindset to get a ton of hooks and chases with different survivors would make it fun for everyone in the trail.


             Moving on to Gatekeeper. This is your ability to YOU GUESSED IT protect your generators. Most of the time the first 2 generators are free for survivors and they are usually gone by the 2-3 minute mark of the match so losing those first two won’t make you lose many points in this category it’s the final 3 remaining generators to complete that we will be talking about. So let’s say that you start the match with 25 points. Losing the 1st generator is -2 points, losing the second generator is -3 points, losing the 3rd generator is -4,   losing the 4th generator is -7, losing the 5th generator is -9. Now even as a veteran player I do lose all 5 gens so we are going to have to equate how long these gens stay up as well so you don’t lose all the points in this category. Every 120 seconds you will be rewarded a point back. If the gates are not opened you get an additional 2 points. If all gens are still not repaired you get an additional 5 points.


             The fun category. Brutality. Chasing survivors is the most fun you can have and getting those nice cross map hatchets or those chainsaw curves with Billy feels amazing. Enough of the fangirling for Billy though. To get points in this category you will have to get a lot of hits on survivors and will get bonus points for using your killer’s power. As a killer you want multiple people injured at any given time. This will make chases easier and force survivors to heal if they don’t want to go down fast. Last thing you want are those survivors working on gens. It’s your job to protect them. So getting points for injuring survivors and bonus points for using your power. It will make it a little more challenging for killers to get those bonus points since I’ve seen it numerous times where Wesker will only M1 you and never use his power instead of using it for distance. Just an example. USE YOUR POWER GUYS!


             Thanks to anyone that took the time out of their day to read this and maybe consider reposting this to get it to BHVR’s attention. I didn’t want to go into too much detail but I can actually write up actual numbers of what I think would be good. These numbers I used were just for examples. But I just wanted to get BHVR to maybe take a second look at the current formula. Because in in my eyes this would be a much healthier system even though it’ll be rough in the start once everyone got reset to 0 MMR. It would balance out over time but it would only take maybe a month to get resolved and working to the best of it’s ability. If you want to contact me with any discussion or changes to this or just to give me your thoughts on this you can find me on twitch @ twitch.tv/seal_massacre. I stream late nights Central time anywhere from 8pm-9am. Thank you again for reading my suggestion. I hope BHVR sees this some day and takes it into consideration. 



             

Comments

  • Just want to thank everyone for their feedback. Whether it was for or against it. Just putting my personal opinion in the mix of things. Most of my community over on Twitch agrees with me. I will keep this thread in my bookmarks. Feel free to keep the discussion going. I'll be watching. =)

1 2 ›