Pipe Dream Matchmaking Idea
I know that this isn't realistic for several reasons, but hear me out:
Instead of using skill based matchmaking, we use sweat based matchmaking?
i.e. every perk, item, killer, add-on, offering, as well as number of survs in your party is assigned a "sweat score" determined by community polling or something. The game also tracks how sweaty you tend to play within a match; e.g. tunneling, slugging for 4k, genrushing, or on the opposite end, opening chests, granting kills/escapes, etc.
When you queue for a game, you are matched with similarly sweaty players. You wanna play on badham with 4 BNPs? Enjoy your alch ring Blight. Do you tunnel, camp, and slug at every opportunity? Have this squad scrimming for their $10,000 tourney, since you already play like you're in one.
Idk, I feel like it'd be nice to play a game with my meme build and know that the survivors also aren't taking things that seriously, or know that if I wanna play serious the survivors are up to the task and I'm not gonna be the reason someone quits dbd.
Like, I know that this is never gonna happen, and you'd probably still need some semblance of mmr, but would you guys enjoy something like this?
Comments
I think casual players like me would love this, but that unfortunately the people we'd be trying to separate from would not and would make a ruckus out of it or even quit the game once they get a taste of their own medicine.
Plus I can imagine scenarios where someone who's chill but just talented gets paired with the worst of the other side.
The thought is pleasant, regardless.
Sweaty players don't want to go against others sweats.
They just want to go against average/casual players for the easy win.
The biggest roadblock for your suggestion is that basically no one plays this game long term without items, addons, or perks nor does the game or the devs for that matter have an objective way to even attach a score to those things. Not every alch ring Blight is a sweatlord and not even 4 man with bnp has the skill to actually make that strat work for them. So match making wouldn't get any better it would just negatively incentivize people not to use anything that would give them stronger opponents. So you'd have players who are very skilled playing against people with neither the resources nor skill to stand up to them even more than we already do now.
This. I think the initial feedback when MMR released was actual coded language that equated to what you said. It wasn't that "sweating isn't fun". Those players are still sweating by and large. They just don't like it when the other side sweats as hard as they are. It's an ego thing for a lot of people. Suddenly those 50+ win streak gamers aren't DbD gods, so they threw a fit. It worked, and now they're back to pub stomping.
I'm actually with the minority on this one. I don't care about the que times or people abusing the system anymore, anything is better than what we have. Give us a casual and a competitive mode BHVR. Even if only 1 out of 3 match is casual and chill, that's already an improvement.