Opening ports helps matchmaking

Someone tested this? Usually opening the ports for a certain games helps the connectivity to other players. Someone tested this with DbD and had benefits?

Comments

  • I have opened the ports years ago for other games using Steam and it's matchmaking, never had them closed or "default" value for Windows while played Dead by Daylight.

    I have played on my own PC (ports open) and other PCs where ports are either closed or allowed through Windows firewall when prompted by new connection attempts and I haven't seen any difference for this game between the two options.

    It's still at times very slow searching for lobbies and keeps changing whenever there is a matchmaking changes for this game.

    At the moment with 2.4.0, all required ports open, current matchmaking settings at BHVR end;
    survivor finding lobbies time ~1-40 seconds
    killer finding survivors time ~1-15 minutes
    ..and lobbies getting stuck for ~5-50 minutes if someone leaves the lobby

    I don't think I have seen a non-Valve game where opening the required Steam ports make any difference really.

    Side note
    All games using matchmaking system seems to ignore my country (Finland) and rather tend to match me with people from the East with slightly higher ping than people from the West. Even Discord defaults voice server to Russia rather than EU West if I initiate a voice call with someone else who is living inside Finland.

    And comparing with my friends from Sweden, Netherlands and me using VPN to those or other EU countries such as Germany is 1-4 times faster on all games using matchmaking system, either their own or Steams.

    Tested the matchmaking using 3 different ISPs and they all have that issue. With 10 to 250 MBps download and 5 to 100 MBps upload speeds and required ports opened.