Jump scares

So I have nearly 900 hours in DBD and this morning was the first time I’ve ever noticed the jump scare on Midwich. I think it was a body falling out of a locker. Actually got me! And it got me thinking…

As we play more, inevitably, the killers become less scary. So could the game not benefit from more of these jump scares built into the maps themselves? Maybe even have some that the killer has to ‘set’ like a trap? If that would need an incentive for the Killer to spend time doing it, how about the survivor screams and reveals their location when they trigger the scare?

Lots of people feel that the game needs some fresh new mechanics because it’s a gen-rush fest at the moment, and I feel like this could be at least a small part of the answer. It would add to the terror of the game, which fades after a while, and give us a new mechanic that isn’t going to compromise the overall flow of matches. That’s my thought for the day anyway!

Comments

  • I remember when the map was first on the PTB. It got everyone.

    But, like everything else, they get predictable. They work for a while, but then the magic wears off, and what the game needs are less bandaid fixes to try and add back some "magic" and a fundamental shakeup of the system beyond just perks. The very core of the game hasn't evolved in coming up to 7 years, it's just had more and more piled on top of it, and honestly it needs more than a fresh coat of paint every few months.