Skull Merchant Stealth Changes
I want to make the Skull Merchant a stealth tracking killer rather than an area-denial tracking killer. Here are the changes I would make. Anything that I did not mention or change is assumed to have not been changed (Ex: claw traps still break pallets when vaulted, and survivors still become exposed when failing the drone mini-game).
Removed abilities:
- Survivors no longer become exposed when being detected by a drone
- The Skull Merchant no longer gains the Haste status effect for each survivor that is being tracked
- The Skull Merchant can no longer place a new drone in the area that the previous drone has been deactivated in until the claw trap battery runs out (however, the Skull Merchant will get the drone back when the previous drone is deactivated and can place it somewhere else instead)
Added abilities:
- The Skull Merchant will gain the Undetectable status effect anywhere on the map whenever a drone is tracking a survivor. This effect lingers for 10 seconds after a drone is no longer detecting a survivor. In addition, the Skull Merchant's lingering Undetectable status effect after she leaves an active drone area herself is increased to 10 seconds as well
- A survivor that has a claw trap on will suffer from the Oblivious status effect until the claw trap battery runs out (the survivor will still activate any drone in scanning mode when walking into its area with a claw trap on, but this will not cause the battery to refill to full duration again)
- The Skull Merchant gains a 10% buff to action speed of breaking pallets, breakable walls, or damaging generators whenever she is in an active drone area. This effect lingers for 10 seconds after leaving the area of effect. Additionally, she gains an extra 5% buff to this action speed for every individual survivor that is being tracked by a drone specifically.
I have listed reasons for my changes below.
Comments
Please talk some more about why you think the current Skull Merchant does not cut it compared to the other Killers so the dev team can get some insight into why they should pursue these suggested changes.
Sure, I can do that. I'll give my opinions on why I think the current power is unhealthy for the game, while the new one is more thematic and fun.
Current problems with the Skull Merchant:
How my suggestions would fix these problems:
Damn that sucks, we need another Sadako?
i don't think skull merchant is meant to be stealth killer. She has 2 second of undetectable in drone radius but I believe this is not for stealth. its related to red light mechanic at loops. Beast of Prey grants undetectable when reaching bloodlust 1 but the perk originally was not about stealth. it was about hiding red light and undetectable shares same status effect as hiding red light.
The anti-red light is supposely meant to make skull merchant more difficult to loop at tall-wall tiles when a drone area is active. It is not for stealth. You can use an oblivious add-on called brown noise generator that grants 15 second of lingering oblivious to be stealth killer if survivors ignore drones and do not disable them.
if you want to play stealth killer, consider playing Wraith or Ghostface which have on-command stealth. You could also try John Medical file Pig as stealth build. Skull merchant is in a fine place now in comparison to her PTB unlimited 3 gen state. There is no need to change anything.
Otz has video on youtube called Knight vs Skull merchant that showcases how to play skull merchant. These change are terrible and unnecessary. They put her into a worse position then PTB iteration of the game. Stop trying to delete killer powers and turn the killer into an m1 killer with no prospects of chase.
I love how all Skull merchant "reworks" make her useless, I guess they want to fix her by nerfing into oblivion, so they don't have to play against her.
But I will bet none of authors actually main Skull merchant.
I play her quite a lot and I am fine with her. I don't really mind playing against her too.
I would make it so only survivor with claw trap can't disarm drone to help soloQ, but that's it.